Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Create image - change temp file location

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dgeek

dgeek

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

I am attempting to create an image for a ASUS laptop running Windows 8.  It has a 750 GB internal drive that is divided into a 730 GB OS partition, a small 20 GB Recovery partition.  When I attempt to create the image, it finds my external drive and starts to build the file then stops with an error - there is not sufficient space to create the image on either the destination drive or internal drive.

I had a 3TB drive with 2.5 TB free space.  Thought it was a large drive problem so wen to a 2 Tb drive same problem.  I then tried a 1 TB drive same problem.  I then attached the 1 TB drive to a Windows 8 system that does not have the small recovery partition and the image was created with no problems.

After trying the image again on the ASUS laptop, I noted the back-up never touched the external drive.  I read the error message further and noted it also said there was not sufficient space on either the destination drive or internal drive.

It appears the backup is trying to create the temporary image on the last partition found (20 GB recovery partition) on the internal drive and cannot find the necessary space.

I am looking for a way to change the default location for the temp file.  I have friends that are buying Windows 8 PC and will be running into the same problem.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

Are you sure its trying to create it on the recovery partition? I find it odd that it would even use that partition.

Have you tried monitoring it with Procmon to see where the process is writing to?

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Also what method are you using? Are you creating a custom refresh image or a system image?

#4 dgeek

dgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

I'll try to answer all questions at the same time.

No, I am not sure it attempting to make the temporary backup on the Recovery partition. 

That was an assumption based on;

the fact it cannot find sufficient space.  It states it needs 293 GB of space.  The OS partition has about 500 GB the external drive has 2.6 GB free.  Or when I used my smaller drive, I had 500 GB free.  The assumption was also based on the fact that it tells me how much free space is available on the external drive before I tell it to start the back-up. 

After that, it never flashes the light on the external drive(s) ( I have used 4 different external drives.)

I have not tried Procmon.

I am using the create system image when I attempt the back-up.

Now for a little clarification.  I followed you link to create system image.  That is the procedure for creating a back-up and not system image.   

When I click the create system image.

It searches for places to create the image.

It finds the external drive and the DVD drive

It pre-selects the external drive but gives you a choice to change the destination to the DVD drive - no drive letters are shown.

When you click next it start the procedure to write the image to the external drive.

It is at this point where it prepares to write the image but stops with an error before it even touches the external drive.

ON a Windows 7 PC, there are a couple of extra steps before it actually prepares to write.  Even though it is supposed the same process as what was found on Windows 7, it isn't.

Based on the above, the only way I could rationally follow "insufficient space error", is that it has be attempting to create the temporary file on the Recovery partition.

Thanks

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

How much space is available on your C: drive?

#6 dgeek

dgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

The C drive has over 400 GB free and the image file indicates it needs 295 GB.

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

My next guess is to try procmon and see where its writing the image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users