Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes not responding and freezes computer during scan

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 cleanhat

cleanhat

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

I often use malwarebytes, but today I am unable to complete a quick scan, as the program stops responding. This also happened when I tried to run it in safe mode. When it happens I am unable to close malwarebytes, even by trying to shut it down in task manager, and I am forced to remove my laptop battery to shut down.

I am not experiencing problems with other scanners, such as spybot and Ccleaner

Do I have a deep rooted malware problem perhaps? Any help always greatly appreciated! Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:21 AM

Hi cleanhat,

Have you recently had any problems with malware? If so, possible remnants leftover. Also have you tried to run MBAM in safemode?

You might also try ininstalling MBAM: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware-cleanup-tool/

Then reinstall: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

This may resolve the issue.

Regards.............

Sorry, I see you already tried safemode. But you may try other steps as solution.

Edited by sikntired, 29 June 2013 - 07:23 AM.

#3 cleanhat

cleanhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:42 AM

Hi, thanks for reply

I've tried the cleanup tool and reinstalled MBAM, but it has unfortunately made no difference.

It tends to scan for just under a minute and then stops responding and won't close down.

I believe it removed some malware when I last ran it a few weeks ago, so I think it is possible there are remnants. 

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

If  Malwarebytes continues to be problematic, it sounds like it should be uninstalled as you have done but also all remnants

--- Do you get an error message? If so what is it?

This has worked for me on some of my friend’s computers

Some malware programs can block MalwareBytes AntiMalware. To outsmart it, do this:

--- Open WINDOWS Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and find the file MBAM.EXE

--- Right-click it and then select COPY.

--- Now right-click on an empty area in the same folder and select PASTE. You will get "Copy of MBAM.EXE"

--- Right-click on it and select RENAME

--- Change the name to ZAPPER.EXE (or anything else that does not contain the letters MBAM, as that's what the thing looks for.)

--- Now double-click your copy and it should launch.

--- Do NOT just rename MBAM.EXE to something else because after MBAM (or whatever you call it) runs if it finds some things that are deeply into your system it has to run again at boot time. At that time it is looking for MBAM.EXE so it has to be there

--- You can always rename back to MBAM.EXE

Refer to FAQ - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware won't run or failed to resolve my issues

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=85715

Have you tried another security protection program? Check out Microsoft Security Essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

#5 cleanhat

cleanhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

If  Malwarebytes continues to be problematic, it sounds like it should be uninstalled as you have done but also all remnants

--- Do you get an error message? If so what is it?

This has worked for me on some of my friend’s computers

Some malware programs can block MalwareBytes AntiMalware. To outsmart it, do this:

--- Open WINDOWS Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and find the file MBAM.EXE

--- Right-click it and then select COPY.

--- Now right-click on an empty area in the same folder and select PASTE. You will get "Copy of MBAM.EXE"

--- Right-click on it and select RENAME

--- Change the name to ZAPPER.EXE (or anything else that does not contain the letters MBAM, as that's what the thing looks for.)

--- Now double-click your copy and it should launch.

--- Do NOT just rename MBAM.EXE to something else because after MBAM (or whatever you call it) runs if it finds some things that are deeply into your system it has to run again at boot time. At that time it is looking for MBAM.EXE so it has to be there

--- You can always rename back to MBAM.EXE

Refer to FAQ - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware won't run or failed to resolve my issues

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=85715

Have you tried another security protection program? Check out Microsoft Security Essentials

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download

Hi, thanks for the idea, unfortunately, it did not work. I changed the copy to zapper.exe, but it still froze after 30 seconds.

There is no error message, it just stops responding after 30-60 seconds, and then windows cannot close the program, forcing me to remove the battery to restart.

#6 cleanhat

cleanhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

I have also run Microsoft Security Essentials, which seemed to also freeze the first time I ran it, but I was able to run it a second time, this time with no errors and no results found. I have also done a couple of online scans, both of which were fine. So, its just Malwarebytes that is freezing.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for your immediate response

Please completely uninstall Malwarebytes

--- I have XP and usually after doing an uninstall, I would do a search for anything Malwarebytes, mbam & the zapper.exe and whatever leftovers there are 

--- Someone else might have a better idea for a complete uninstall and that's fine

--- I know this doesn't solve as to what the problem is with Malwarebytes but someone else with more expertise than me can probably help you with that if you want to do that

I would stay with MSE or whatever other programs you like to use at least for the time being

--- I do use MSE and I have it timed to run a daily scan at 5 AM so the computer is ready for when I'm ready to start using it

You can re-install Malwarebytes if you wish to do so after you are certain your computer is definitely clean

--- Naturally you can stay with MSE or whatever other programs you like to use

I do use Malwarebytes also, but I run it manually once a month, usually the weekend before Patch Tuesday

--- When I first started using it, I did so daily for 1 week

--- When results showed no infections, then I went to once a week for 1 month

--- Then I ended up with the once a month plan

I think it's a good idea to have a real time security protection program and then a second one (although in manual mode) for a second opinion program

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,783 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

Click on Start......all programs.......malwarebytes....Tools.......malwarebytes antimalware Chameleon,...

choose any of the 12 available buttons to run the tool.

I would suggest that, regardless of the outcome here, that you post a new topic  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/....... provide a link back to this topic so they get the whole picture.

Edited by Condobloke, 29 June 2013 - 06:05 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 cleanhat

cleanhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

Click on Start......all programs.......malwarebytes....Tools.......malwarebytes antimalware Chameleon,...

choose any of the 12 available buttons to run the tool.

I would suggest that, regardless of the outcome here, that you post a new topic  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/....... provide a link back to this topic so they get the whole picture.

The same thing happened when I used chameleon. I've started another topic in the forum section that you mention, so hopefully whatever is causing the problem can be fixed. Thanks for your help.

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

Instead of trying to run Malwarebytes, can you open the Malwarebytes screen and click on the Update tab?

Chances are it won't update but it should give you an error code  and I imagine that information will be helpful as you move on to the recommended forum

#11 cleanhat

cleanhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

Instead of trying to run Malwarebytes, can you open the Malwarebytes screen and click on the Update tab?

Chances are it won't update but it should give you an error code  and I imagine that information will be helpful as you move on to the recommended forum

Yes, I can do all of that no problem. All the tabs work as normal and it will update fine, with no error messages. It's only when I do a scan that it freezes. I can only assume that it must be a remnant of something. It's strange as other scanners do seem to be working, but have not picked anything up.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Thanks again for your feedback. I just learned something new as the update worked fine. I hope you do move on as recommended as I'll be very interested in the troubleshooting procedures to determine what's going on

#13 cleanhat

cleanhat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Thanks again for your feedback. I just learned something new as the update worked fine. I hope you do move on as recommended as I'll be very interested in the troubleshooting procedures to determine what's going on

I have not had any response yet from the other forum, but I appreciate it takes about 5 days to get a reply, so hopefully soon. If you want to keep an eye on what is going on, here is the link to it. Thanks again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/499595/malwarebytes-not-responding-pc-running-slower-hj-log/

#14 Cheetahblue

Cheetahblue

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

Malwarebytes would not complete scan. Got rid of the McAfee "security" suite. WaLa! that was the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users