Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Word: Can't edit in Russian, Can in English

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 troubled owl

troubled owl

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:03 AM

Office 2010 and word specifically have me stumped.

Word has stopped allowing editing in existing paragraphs, problem is only in Russian only, English is fine. I can usually write new paragraphs , but then not change them.

As far as i'm aware I have all correct things ticked to allow alternate language to type and can switch between English and Russian fine and it was working ok initially, allowing editing.

Computer has winrus software installed, documents were originally types on windows xp machine circa 2004 and are now on windows 7 machine from 2012.

Any advice welcome

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

Just a thought, but the 2004 XP machine would have been running - probably - Office 2003 and you are now running Office 2010. The default file structure for Word 2003 ( and earlier versions ) is .DOC, that for Word 2010 is .DOCX.  2010 can open a 2003 document with no problem, but have you tried saving these older documents in .DOCX format and then working on them ?

You imply in your post that this is a recent problem, or at least has started recently. If you have any idea of when this happened it might be worth running Windows Restore to a date before this problem started and see if that solves the problem, it could be some recent update has caused the problem. Of course, if using restore solves the problem, you still need your updates !  Add them back in two or three at a time, this makes determining which caused the problem much easier.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 troubled owl

troubled owl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:54 AM

Thanks for suggestions unfortunately neither worked.

It's my mums work and computer so hence my delay in trying to sort, the problem seemed to occur during a mid editing session. so I wonder if its a word specific issue or due to Russian language software or ? Have tried more than one keyboard so isn't that

any further suggestions welcome, other than this computer seems to be running fine

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

It might be worth trying to do a 'Repair' on the MS 2010 installation, if you have the install disc to hand, or even completely uninstall Office and re-install it. Win 7 certainly includes support for at least two versions of the Russian language, so I would be inclined to look at the Office installation. Even if you decide to do a complete uninstall / re-install of Office, this will not affect any of your, or your Mum's, work - only the program itself.

Sorry I can't help you further - my experience of Office stops at v2007, and that only reluctantly !

Chris Cosgrove

#5 troubled owl

troubled owl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

Not solved this yet but not had enough time to uninstall and reinstall office yet.

Additional information, keyboard / her computer is now refusing to type t and y in word in English but most other letters seem ok.

Is this likely to be a word problem for everything? is a reinstall best of office or does anyone have any other thoughts?

thanks

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

I can sympathise with the lack of time problem, and I'm retired !

I think doing an uninstall / and re-install of Office is your best chance of success with regards to the Russian language problem, although you could try doing a repair on Word which would be quicker.

As for the 't' and 'y' problem there are two possibilities. Is this problem confined to Word or is it general, ie when writing an e-mail, in Notepad or anything she is inserting text into ?  If the problem is confined to Word, it is almost certainly a Word problem, and a repair / re-install should fix it. If 't' and 'y' refuse to appear anywhere, it is probably a keyboard problem - try a different keyboard.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 troubled owl

troubled owl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:33 AM

changed keyboard t & y problem gone.

russian issue of sometimes typing sometimes not, this happens on both keyboards and is confined to word, from office 2010,

whats the best word repair / re-install option with word? as i'd prefer not to be uninstalling office as its a key not disk based version

thanks for help so far

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

I cannot be specific from my own experience, but this link may help or at least point you in the right direction :

http://helpdeskgeek.com/office-tips/repair-microsoft-office-2010/

If this doesn't solve your exact problem, try googling for 'repair MS Word 2010' and make sure you are looking at the correct version !

Chris Cosgrove

#9 janeparker

janeparker

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Dear troubled owl

Your MS Word got corrupted. You need to re-install a fresh copy. After that things will be good for you. 

#10 troubled owl

troubled owl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:35 AM

your probably right as i've found word will type russian once you delete one space, wierd. We're currently operating with it like that better that than losing everything doing the wrong attempting a guess work reinstall.

The repair,

1: can i uninstall microsoft word only to repair?

2: Do i have to uninstall office 2010 to repair, if so how and does the key card still work to reinstall.

3; Do i also have to uninstall word starter, if so how.

thanks

troubled owl

#11 troubled owl

troubled owl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:05 AM

additionally, I did try office repair it failed to sort word.

just found out, that my mum is refusing to use computer, word in it in current form, to much hassle.

so reinstall info more urgent now, thanks

to

#12 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

My view is that as attempted repair options have not solved your problems, a fresh install should be tried.
You can download Office from the link in the following article, which also answers all relevant questions.

Using your Office 2010 Product Key Card

We had a Win 7 64 bit desktop, with Office starter installed.

First, we uninstalled Click to Run.  

(If it does not also remove Office starter, or other Office products, they should be uninstalled separately).

We then installed Office 2010 from our installation disk.

Information here for Removing Click to Run:

If you are not keen on taking such steps, you should first make an image backup, to enable you to revert to your current state. I suggest that you use the free program, Macrium Reflect, to do this. I use it regularly, without problems.

Macrium Reflect Free:

Edited by petewills , 16 October 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#13 janeparker

janeparker

• Banned Spammer
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 16 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Dear TO, 

Answer is in front of you. Use this and get rid of your problem. 

Dear petewills, Great Answer :thumbup2:  :thumbup2:  :bowdown:  :bowdown:   :bowdown:

#14 troubled owl

troubled owl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

couldn't see click to run on computer so couldn't uninstall but uninstalled office home and student 2010 then re-downloaded, problem still there

#15 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

What Microsoft Office products are now showing in Control Panel / Programs and Features.

How did you remove Word Starter?

This article explains how to remove Office Suites, by various methods and if you use the fixits:

"Fix it solutions remove ALL Office 2010 product versions from your PC. 
For example, if you use the Fix it for Office 2010, and you have Microsoft Office Home and Student 2010 and Outlook 2010, it will remove both products."

There may be remnants from the previous uninstall, causing your problems.

Edited by petewills , 31 October 2013 - 07:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users