Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikesr25

mikesr25

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

I have a HP Pavilion Elite  -  HPE-560z. The power button no longer lights up and there is no video going to the monitor. I plugged in another working monitor and same thing. The PSU light comes on, motherboard light comes on, case fan spins, CPU fan spins, video card fan spins, and the light on the mouse lights up. I took the video card out and plugged the monitor into the computers' VGA connector and still nothing on the monitor. I disconnected the hard drive, cd drive, video card and RAM - still nothing. I thought I would atleast hear some beeps. Nope, same thing happens.

I was thinking it might either be a bad motherboard or a bad CPU. What do ya think I should do? :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Hi

Since you are not hearing any beep codes after removing RAM, it may be either motherboard, CPU or PSU which is faulty. Try the below steps one by one and check if the system works.

- Remove the CMOS battery and re-insert it after 15 minutes. If the battery is out of charge, replace it.

- Disconnect all connectors except the power to the motherboard. 

- Remove and re-insert the CPU

- Try another PSU if possible.

- Some motherboards doesn't produce any beep codes even if the RAM is removed. So it is recommended  trying another known good memory module. 

Caution : Touch your hand in an unpainted metal part of the cabinet to discharge static electricity before working inside of the computer.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

You may have a password on that BIOS before you can configure it. Also note that these newer boards have a BIOS clear jumper: Go to the link and scroll to the bottom:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01925486&tmp_track_link=ot_faqs/top_issues/en_us/c01925486/loc:4&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5061000#N592

You only need to pull off the power cable before you do that.

If you are not getting any keyboard recognition beeps from the system and no video, chances are the bootup is not even reaching the BIOS. That  means either a blown
CPU (very unusual) or a blown mainboard (not unusual). Your board is a Foxconn and they specialize in proprietary  mainboards for manufacturers, and they are not known for quality,  One thing you can do is check your mobo for blown capacitors, they many be bulged on the top (instead of flat) and/or even have cracked tops or bottoms with electrolyte seeping out. See link: http://badcaps.net/

and check out the pictures on the right side.

If you have multiple sticks of memory, try removing and booting 1X1 and see if you get anything that way.

Edited by ranchhand_, 29 June 2013 - 09:56 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 mikesr25

mikesr25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

OK, thanks for the replies. I spoke with the guy who had the computer last and he said he tried to change the hard drive and accidentally hit the lever holding the heat sink down. He said he just pushed the lever back into place. I tried to take the heat sink off and the cpu came off the motherboard with it. I noticed there were a few bent pins on the cpu, so I straightened them back out. After trying and trying, I finally got the cpu off of the heat sink, re-applied thermal grease, and re-installed the heat sink and fan. the computer booted up and the power lights worked. Everything seems fine now. :bananas:

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Terrific!  I did that a couple of times.... these proprietary computers can be real tinkertoys to try and service. Well, it was the CPU then. Thanks for the follow-up!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users