Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop monitor starts fine but goes blank at login, external monitors fine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 adrian125

adrian125

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hi all,

I'm going to try to make a medium story short :)

The last week or so, my laptop has been plugged into my HDMI TV. I went on a trip and when I got where I was going, I tried to turn on my laptop and after the "Starting Windows" screen, my laptop monitor goes blank (but with backlight) where the Windows login screen should be. Being that I wanted my laptop to work, I thought it may be a driver issue, so I booted in safe mode and it worked fine. I deleted the driver from safe mode, restarted and it booted normally, but the graphics were far from up to par, and windows installed a driver. When restarting, the same problem happened!

So to myself, I thought maybe the Windows drivers suck, so I went to Nvidia and downloaded the latest non-beta driver and installed. To no avail the same problem keeps happening. Now that I'm home, I have my computer plugged into my TV and it looks superb! The laptop monitor still doesn't work.

When I unplug my HDMI TV, the laptop screen blinks but then goes back to black with backlight.

I'm thinking this is probably still a driver issue, but wanted to know what others thought. 

Side Fact: My subscription just ran out on Kaspersky IS2013. Virus?

I'm running an ASUS G74sx-xr1 with an Nvidia GeForce 560M with 3GB of DDR5

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LPTJared

LPTJared

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

It sounds like something's wrong with the Screen to me... It most likely needs replaced or something... Yet again it could be the GPU not outputting properly to the Screen. I would say it's either the GPU or the Screen, I would try rolling back to some later WHQL drivers (Non - Beta) from Nvidia. If it still doesn't work, you could give me the Model number and I could find you some drivers you can install and see if there's any display drivers for it. If it STILL doesn't work after that, I would probably recommend taking it to a repair shop, I know that's what I would do personally...

#3 adrian125

adrian125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 03:47 AM

I don't think I was clear, but the laptop screen does work because I can see the "brand" startup screen and the "Starting Windows" screen... everything checks out until the login screen, that's where it goes all black. I'll try older drivers and see if that works! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users