Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on where to find...well, advice!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 danno1840

danno1840

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

Hi.  I have posted computer problems on this site a couple of times and have found pretty much everyone to be unbelievably polite and helpful.  People have gone out of their way to help me despite me having no idea what I am doing for the most part.  I find myself in need of that kind of help in a different area.  My television recently stopped functioning properly and as it is just out of warranty, Vizio referred me to one of their certified repair companies.  This company requested photos and after receiving them told me that my set cannot be repaired.  After doing a bit of internet searching I came to realize that Vizio is notorious for saying sets are not repairable when that may not be entirely true.  So what I am looking for is basically the Bleeping Computer of the television world.  Does such a thing exist?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

What problem does the TV have? If it is in the panel (LCD or Plasma) then repair isn't feasible.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:58 AM

They DID say it was a panel defect.  I just wanted to make sure before I scrapped a 1300 dollar TV

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

Have you researched what rights you may have under Consumer Protection legislation under your jurisdiction?

Where I am in Australia, legislation is in place to allow the purchaser of a product which fails beyond manufacturer warranty, but in what could be considered an unreasonably short time of service life, to still seek redress from the manufacturer or seller of the product.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I haven't researched anything like that.  The set is almost exactly two years old and exactly a year out of warranty.  I'm not 100% but I doubt I have any legal recourse here aganst Vizio in the US

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users