Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover XP Home Edition On EMachine T3516a

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lulucomer

lulucomer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm trying to help a friend recover her EMachine back to factory settings. Saving data is not a problem. All I need is a recovery disk for an EMachine T3516a Windows XP Home Edition. Her husband's friend put a questionable (it may be a bootleg, :nono:  I'm not sure) Windows XP Professional Edition on her PC. When he did this he put it on her Recovery Partition and apparently wiped out her recovery files. Of course like most people when she first got her PC she did not make copies of her recovery files. I have her Product Key for a clean recovery if I could get an XP disk. I tried to contact Emachine which is now Acer to try and see if they could help, but for some resoan they do not accept her S/N ?? They say that it is not an acceptable Serial Number. If you want to call or e-mail Acer(emachine) you have to first supply them with the S/N . Since her S/N seems to be unusable I can't even contact them to ask any questions. It's kind of a catch 22. 

So I have been trying to find a recovery disk to use to take it back to the original factory settings. Now I have an HP 705a PC that I don't use anymore and have a set of Windows XP Home Edition recovery disks for it. But I'm afraid that it would not work since they are for an HP and not an EMachine. Am I right about that? If they would work I have no problem donating them to her. I know your not allowed to use a legal set of recovery disks on more than one machine at a time, so I would be willing not to ever bother with my old HP PC.

Can anyone help me either find a reasonable priced recovery disk or some other advice on what to try now? Ive tried to find a hidden partition just in case I'm wrong about the Professional XP Edition being on the recovery partition. I used the Alt and F10 to open it up but it only brings up these choices:   WDC WD1200BB-00RDA0

TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492C

Realtek Boot Agent

Oh, also I tried finding a different Serial Number under the Bios settings as suggested some where on the web, but could not find any other S/N anywhere to try to contact Acer. (emachine).

Ok, I think that's all the information I have. I'm hoping I posted this in the correct forum area. If I didn't I apolgize ahead of time. Please keep in mind I'm a Hillbilly with a 9th grade education. Saying that I also am the only person that knows how to use a PC in my family and friend's circle. So like "Obi Wan Kenobi" I am their only hope. :horse: (I know this horse smilely has niothing to do with my post, it just cracks me up)Ha

Thanks !

LuLu the Hillbilly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:14 PM

See http://www.fixya.com/support/t2094263-wana_restore_computer_its_factory ., first solution offerred.

Louis

#3 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Thank you so much, Hamluis for answering! I only wish it were that easy, Sir! Unfortunately, when the XP"professional" was put on there he removed any of the "Emachine " files. I can't find any files that have Emachine in them. I was wondering if maybe I could use a program like "Recuva" that I used to get all her pictures back. Would anyone know what the names of the files that had the recovery system in them? Maybe I could possibly do it that way. After all she thought all her pictures were gone forever, so maybe her recovery files are still on there somewhere in delete land? Any suggestions are welcome!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Well...it's impossiblle to restore to factory defaults...without disks...when the manufacturers files have been deleted or written over.  Not sure anyone other than eMachines can help you with that.

Louis

#5 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Ok I finally got to my hidden partition. Now I need help figuring out which one or if any might have a recovery on it.

Partition    Type        Size            Offset

Partition1    Primary     4557MB      32KB

Partition2     Extended    107GB    4558MB 

Partition3     Logical        107GB    4558MB

This is the information that they show. Do any of these look like they are suppose to? Do you think my Recovery Partition is one of the 3?

If you need more info let me know. It's on an Emachine T3516a and use to have XP Home Edition, but someone put XP Professional on it and it may be a bootleg copy, I'm really not sure. I'm trying to find the recovery partition to do a full recovery to try and take it back to original settings.

Any help is truly appreciated!!

Thanks,

LuLu

(A Simple Minded Hillbilly) :blink:

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

lulucomer, I merged your new topic into this one as it seems to be a continuation of it.

I think the most likely scenario is that there is no longer (if there ever was) a recovery partition. The report shows 3 partition table entries, but they define two partitions, a 4.5GB Primary Partition which I would expect to be the Windows system partition, and a 107GB Extended Partition, which contains a 107GB Logical Drive. (Note that both occupy the same space.)

Assuming that the Windows on the system still boots, you would see a 4.5GB C: drive and a 107GB D: drive, is that correct? If so, there is no hidden partition containing recovery data. If My Computer simply displays a 107GB C: drive with everything including Windows on it, this would be an unusual configuration, but not impossible, and the 4.5GB could be a recovery partition, but it would be unusually large for XP on a 120GB drive. So I'm not expecting that to be the situation.

If the 4.5GB partition is your C: drive, then to reload Windows, you would need access to a Windows installation CD for the same type of Windows, in this case XP Home, and it could be safely assumed to be the OEM license. If the HP disc is a regular XP Windows install media CD (even if branded HP) with something like a Drivers and Applications CD making up the set, then it may be possible to use this to reload the eMachine using it, and supplying the key from the eMachine COA sticker. If the HP set is truly HP Recovery Media keyed to the 705a, then this would be no help.

Edited by Platypus, 29 June 2013 - 07:39 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 lulucomer

lulucomer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

Well actually I tried looking for a hidden partition using diskpart command because when I went to Computer Management and then to Disk Management there was a:        (C:)4.45GB NTFS

Healthy (System)           

(D:) 107.33GB NTFS

Healthy           (this one does not have the word "System" beside it)

and               Disk 0

Basic

111.78 GB

Then of course my CD-ROM 0

DVD (E:)

I did just notice that there is a color code on the bottom that according to it my C: drive is my Primary Partition and my D: drive is an Extended Partition and a Logical Drive.

But it doesn't say what the Disk 0 is???

Like I said before Acer (emachine) won't even let you e-mail or call without a S/N that matches their criteria. When I tried looking for another S/N on her PC it says it is to be determined by the OEM, but I can't find an OEM file, well actually there is an OEM file or folder but it says empty and 0bytes.

My HP's XP has all kinds of trial stuff loaded on there too, so I'm pretty sure it is an OEM recovery disk set (If I understand what OEM means, sorta like it's married to particular computer).

Well I guess there is one way I can reach Acer, the laptop I'm using is an Acer Aspire. I could maybe use it's S/N to get past the first part of contacting Acer(emachine) and then do a little switcharue and ask them about the emachine. I'm more than willing to spend a little money to get it fixed for her, but I would think they shouldn't charge an arm and leg for something that shoulda came with the PC to begin with. Do you know where I can buy an emachine windows xp home edition recovery disk set by any chance?

Ok I guess I'll leave ya be. It's time to start lunch anyways. Thanks so much for your help Guys !! Ya'll are really kind to have taken the time to help me !!

Thanks So Much Again,

LuLu

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,694 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:51 PM

Then it is as I expected - there is no hidden recovery partition. Disk 0 is the physical hard drive, and it is divided into the smaller C: drive (system drive where windows is installed) and the large D: drive for data.

So if Acer can supply you a recovery set, that would be simplest, but if not you could see if you can borrow a standard OEM XP Home CD from someone, and do a fresh installation using the key from the eMachine's COA sticker. That would be a legal Windows, and if XP doesn't have built-in drivers for all of the hardware devices, it should be possible to locate suitable drivers from support sites.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:41 AM

Just a note...I believe that if you can borrow a MS Genuine XP CD...the retail version would work just as easily as the OEM/System Builder's version for the install.  But the license entered during the install must be your original eMachine license.

The problem is that many persons don't seem to have MS Genuine XP CD unless they built their own systems or installed XP as an "upgrade" from an older version of Windows.  Many OEMs (HP, Lenovo, etc.) stopped issuing install disks sometime around 2005, IIRC.

Louis

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,694 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

An OEM install can be done using a retail disc, but it won't accept the OEM key, the validation algorithm is different. The retail key must be used, then changed before activation, as discussed here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_install/installing-using-a-valid-oem-code-but-using-a/f265c82a-2c50-40a0-b715-ad4deff99bbd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users