Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery programs?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HypoTusk

HypoTusk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

Yesterday, I accidentally deleted two quite important txt files (used in Notepad), and then proceeded to delete them from my Recycle Bin. I have read of several programs that claimed to recover deleted files, but none have done the trick for me. (One brought up the titles of the files I was looking for, but when I recovered them, all I got was a bunch of random numbers and icons.)

Also, I tried the "previous versions" trick and that also failed to work.

Since I don't know very much about the ins and outs of file restoration, I would be very grateful for someone with more experience in this area to assist me, and possibly point me toward some programs that I could try out.

- Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

This may help.  http://www.piriform.com/recuva

#3 HypoTusk

HypoTusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

Thanks a lot! I'll give it a try.

#4 lulucomer

lulucomer

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

I used the Recuva program to find my friend's pictures on her PC she thought was gone forever. So good luck! It took a while to find them because I had to look through sooo many files but it recovered all her pics !!! :clapping:

LuLu

#5 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:52 PM

sikntired

Thanks for the info!

#6 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

A big portion of file recovery is - STOP USING THE HARD DRIVE/COMPUTER YOU NEED TO RECOVER STUFF FROM - in the case of txt files they are quite small and the space they used to occupy is released for the operating system to use once you have deleted them. You would ideally want to take that hard drive out and go to a separate computer that has recuva installed on it and scan the drive that contained those txt files.

#7 HypoTusk

HypoTusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

So I ran this program, and turned up a TON of results. Is it possible that the files I'm looking for could be under different names now? Or should I only look for files with those exact names?

Thanks!

#8 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 946 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

The type of files and where they were stored. Please refer to following : http://features.en.softonic.com/how-to-recover-deleted-files-with-recuva

Hope this explains all to you.

#9 HypoTusk

HypoTusk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

So I recovered a few files that shared the name I was looking for (as well as the other txt files that shared the same location), and they either weren't able to be recovered completely or were .lnk files. Any ideas or other recommendations?

Thanks!

#10 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

This process is time consuming and requires patience. From what I gather the documents you are trying to restore are in .txt format. Some files may not be recoverable but this program has worked in the past. You might try recovering using a different format.

Take a look here and see if this helps: http://www.piriform.com/docs/recuva/troubleshooting/recovering-word-documents

Did you try the deep scan?

Depending how actively you've used the system since discovering you deleted the files will dictate how much the disk has been

overwritten. This will make it more tedious.

The data itself isn’t deleted, just the index entry that tells the system where the data for those files is located. The area containing the deleted data is also now marked as free space so it is available for any new files to be written there instead.

I should have made this more clear in the beginning and do apologize.

Regards...............

Edited by sikntired, 29 June 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,382 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Other programs members have reported  success using:

Partition Find and Mount — free partition recovery software - http://findandmount.com/

Recovery Software, Partition Table Doctor - http://www.ptdd.com/

Recovery Software, Recover My Files - http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

Louis

#12 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 946 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thank you for your input hamluis and additional resources.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users