Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built my own PC - Mother Board does not have a Display Port....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 craig91

craig91

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi all,

I am new to the forums so I hope I have posted in the correct place.

I'm creating a budget gaming computer and have brought this motherboard: http://www.ebuyer.com/349910-gigabyte-ga-970a-ds3-socket-am3-7-1-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-ga-970a-ds3

I have put everything together however the monitor (Connected to graphics card) is not working. My dad said this is because the graphics card is not installed to the Mobo.

My question is now what and how do I get my monitor to work? The mothebroard has NO display ports ??

I have not yet installed windows 7, motherboard disc, graphics disc as I assume I need amonitor to see what im doing.

Any ideas what I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

My dad said this is because the graphics card is not installed to the Mobo.

I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means.  Anyways:

With everything plugged in, 24pin and 4 pin, and videocard power (if needed), RAM, and CPU, it should at least Post and display the BIOS screen.  You will not need any disks or drivers to see the BIOS/configuration screens.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 craig91

craig91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

My dad said this is because the graphics card is not installed to the Mobo.

I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means.  Anyways:

With everything plugged in, 24pin and 4 pin, and videocard power (if needed), RAM, and CPU, it should at least Post and display the BIOS screen.  You will not need any disks or drivers to see the BIOS/configuration screens.

Is this when the monitor is plugged into the graphics card?

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

If you have your graphic card plugged into the right slot everything *should* power up and you *should* have display video. But when building your own rig it is really moment of truth time when you press power. You get to find out if all your components are going to play nice together.

graphics_zps3c1dc54a.jpg

Now if you are not getting video - you get to troubleshoot - I would recommend connecting the motherboard outside of the case for ease of access. Work on a good non-conductive surface (usually the placing the motherboard on the box it came in will work in a pinch) - plug in the processor and processor heatsink - plugin one stick of ram - and plugin the video card. Plugin power switch to connectors on motherboard (or if you don't care you can short the ends with a paperclip or end of a flattip screwdriver). Without plugging your powersupply to main power, connect all components that need power (there should be at least 2 on your motherboard, maybe 3, read your manual) and maybe one on your video card. Plug powersupply into main power - make sure powersupply is turned on (some have toggle switches on them some don't) - cross fingers and hit power button/short connection.

If you get video now then put motherboard in case and add components - install os - until you have a completely working machine

If you do not have video some of your components do not like each other or you may have gotten a bad piece.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 28 June 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:00 PM

when you say mobo has no display ports, you mean onboard video?  there should be a vga  socket available for onboard  graphics ability if no graphics card is installed in the  correct PCI socket with its  three hind end ports exposed to the world and ready for the taking  out the back of your case.

let me have a looksie at that mobo image...ok. looks like no onboard auxillary VGA port for you....   so get that graphics card installed as stated above and it looks like you have been  advised well on what to do after that.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:35 PM

You need a video card with that board.  There are no onboard graphics, just crossfire support.

Louis

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:47 PM

The specs for the board clearly state it has no onboard video chip, so no video without a display card. Good news is that, depending on the games you want to run, you may get off pretty cheap for a video card.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users