Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start normally (BSOD when attempted). Possible graphics issue.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LGK

LGK

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am having trouble with my computer. I am currently running Windows Vista 64-bit, service pack 2.

My computer was running fine last night and was even working normally when I turned it on this morning. The problem started when I started watching videos on YouTube; halfway through one of them my screen blacked out. It would intermittently pulse gray for a split second, then return to black. Ultimately, the computer blue-screened and I had to reset it. Upon booting back up, the computer seemed to be working normally again, so I gave it a few minutes and then started playing a video game (Mount & Blade: Warband, if knowing which is important). A couple minutes into the game my framerate crashed, giving me a new frame every 5 to 10 seconds. Several minuted after this started, my computer blue-screened again, forcing another reset.

This time the motherboard splash screen that first pops up upon startup was filled with graphical glitches/artifacts, and the boot information feed that comes up after that poured out a seemingly random sequence of numbers, letters, and other characters in place of the actual boot information. The computer got to the Windows loading screen before the monitor blacked out and the computer blue-screened again.

At this point the computer will start up fine in safe mode, but I will always blue-screen when attempting to boot in normal mode. I'm at a loss as to what the problem is. Below is the crash report and blue-screen information:

CRASH REPORT:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    116
  BCP1:    FFFFFA800C83C010
  BCP2:    FFFFFA6002D3E378
  BCP3:    0000000000000000
  BCP4:    0000000000000002
  OS Version:    6_0_6002
  Service Pack:    2_0
  Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini062813-03.dmp
  C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\temp\WER-264905-0.sysdata.xml
  C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\temp\WER1016.tmp.version.txt

BSOD Info:

STOP: 0x00000116 (0xFFFFFA800C83C10, 0XFFFFFA6002D3E3378, 0X0000000000000000, 0X0000000000000002)

nvlddmkm.sys - Address FFFFFA6002D3E378 base at FFFFFA6002C09000, DateStamp 50f94c87

WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR:

I gathered that BCCODE: 116 is related to a graphics card/driver issue, so I tried wiping and reinstalling my graphics drivers, which did not work. I then tried booting Windows using the last known good settings, which also did not help.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:13 PM

I'd boot into safe mode...uninstall current graphics drivers via Device Manager...then reboot.

Reinstall graphics drivers from either Drivers Disk or download from website of manufacturer.  If OEM system...get drivers from system manufacturer's website and install from desktop..

Louis

#3 LGK

LGK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

I'd boot into safe mode...uninstall current graphics drivers via Device Manager...then reboot.

Reinstall graphics drivers from either Drivers Disk or download from website of manufacturer.  If OEM system...get drivers from system manufacturer's website and install from desktop..

Louis

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics drivers via safe mode. It doesn't seem to have worked.

As a further note, I am able to start Windows normally after I delete my graphics drivers, so it's almost definitely a graphics driver/hardware issue. Is there any way to tell whether it's a software or a hardware problem? If it's a hardware problem, is there any way to tell whether it's my GPU or my motherboard?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

When you boot into Safe Mode you are not using the graphics drivers normally used by your graphics card, these are drivers which are native to your Windows operating system.  Because you can boot into Safe Mode and have normal operation of the graphics, except for the diminished resolution of the native driver, it points to your graphics driver being at fault.

Some drivers need to be uninstalled in a specific manner, Nvidia drivers are a good example, so we need more information about your computer to help you.

Please post the make and model of your computer.

For the following please boot into Safe Mode with Networking.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you, just follow the instructions there.

Edited by dc3, 29 June 2013 - 10:03 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users