Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Good All-round Everyday Calculator

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Having left far behind me the wonderful world of advanced mathematics, Integration, logarithmic, angular and hyperbolic function calculations etc., my only need now is a good everyday calculator for use with various mundane actions which occur on my PC from time to time to do with banking,  bills, or minor calculations. That kind of thing.

I found the ideal solution with :-

http://www.eeweb.com/toolbox/basic-calculator

It is perfect for all my normal requirements of today. It does have a Scientific Mode if you wish to strain the brain on something more challenging than 1+1 = 3 (nobody`s perfect), but fortunately so far I have not had reason to use it.

I have placed this calculator on my Bookmarks Toolbar under CALC for ready one-click use on a separate tab.

Edited by yabbadoo, 28 June 2013 - 10:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

Wouldn't the Windows default calculator be good enough?

It has a scientific mode, programmer mode and a statistics mode.

I guess we all have preferences.

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:22 AM

Wouldn't the Windows default calculator be good enough?

It has a scientific mode, programmer mode and a statistics mode.

I guess we all have preferences.

You are of course perfectly correct and the Windows calculator is as good as any. It does however pop-up on the working screen and obscures part of the text, but it can be moved by Right Click>Move>Drag.

No big deal, it is a satisfactory solution. but having to do the -

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Calculator thingy, I will stick with my Bookmark/Tab arrangement which only needs a single click.

Thank you for making a very valid point.

Edited by yabbadoo, 30 June 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#4 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

That's fair enough, I guess it would be easier having one like that on windows xp. 

I never think that people use xp and lower still but it's easy to say Xp was the best OS that I ever used.

Craig

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

#5 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

That's fair enough, I guess it would be easier having one like that on windows xp. 

I never think that people use xp and lower still but it's easy to say Xp was the best OS that I ever used.

Craig

Apologies Craig,

You were too quick for me, I was editing my post but not fast enough to stop you reading the original. See my edited post. 

Thank you and Cheers

#6 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Ah right, sorry for replying so quick. Yeah I forget that in windows Xp you can't pin things to your taskbar like you can in Win7.

So i guess it is easier the way you suggested.

Craig

#7 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 10:52 AM

Ah right, sorry for replying so quick. Yeah I forget that in windows Xp you can't pin things to your taskbar like you can in Win7.

So i guess it is easier the way you suggested.

Craig

Just to wind up the Windows calculator matter Craig.

When you first mentioned a Windows calculator, I never thought it existed on my XP and had to check how to find it on the web. I did find it , had been there for the past 10 years and I never knew.

To get the Windows calculator onto the taskbar :- 

Start>All Programs>Accessories>Calculator>Send to>Desktop(create shortcut).

Once the shortcut is on the desktop, just right click/hold and drag it to the taskbar. It stays there. Then delete the desktop shortcut.

We live and learn Craig eh ? Thanks

#8 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

Wow we all learn something new everyday.

I can't remember who said it but someone once said "If you don't learn something new everyday then living is pointless" something along those lines.

Craig

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:02 AM

Or you can do this (Windows 7): Start button > in search box, type Calculator(all i needed to type was calc) when you see the app listed > right click > pin to task bar. Took me 9 seconds to do, compared to 35 seconds to type it out here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 yabbadoo

yabbadoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 06:34 AM

Or you can do this (Windows 7): Start button > in search box, type Calculator(all i needed to type was calc) when you see the app listed > right click > pin to task bar. Took me 9 seconds to do, compared to 35 seconds to type it out here.

Next year when MS  withdraws support from XP I will have to face the inevitable traumatic experience and upgrade to either 7 or 8. 

But it is so nice no longer to be involved in scientific calculations, complex integrals and all that jazz and to simply to occupy my brain with mundane arithmetic, that is why a simple calculator suits me  fine.

Not quite down to counting bead standard, but personally satisfactory. A mental inversion from serious Mathematics to Check-Out technology. I suppose it is called the pleasures of "retirement".

I have put the Windows calculator on my taskbar as an alternative choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users