Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 pro 64 licence, too good to be true?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

Hey guys,

I'm in the process of putting together a PC, and need windows 7 pro 64. Having a quick look around I stumbled across this 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Professional-64bit-SP1-Full-Version-Top-Seller-with-COA-/130937218679?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item1e7c776677

It seems very similar to other listings for "OEM" software which is described as "refurbished".

What I need to know, is this legal, and will it work?

Thanks,

Dean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcbythesea

pcbythesea

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

I am really interested to know as well.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

"Local OEM software packs are intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY. They are not intended for distribution to end users unless the end users are acting as local OEMs by assembling their own PC. "
http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx
This software is not intended for end users, the 'Joe Newbie' who does not know how to install software and needs the support the retail version provides.

If it looks too good to be true ........... You know the rest -

Buy a Genuine Retail version like we all should -

#4 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

"Local OEM software packs are intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY. They are not intended for distribution to end users unless the end users are acting as local OEMs by assembling their own PC. "
http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/licensing_faq.aspx
This software is not intended for end users, the 'Joe Newbie' who does not know how to install software and needs the support the retail version provides.

If it looks too good to be true ........... You know the rest -

Buy a Genuine Retail version like we all should -

That's not what I'm asking, I understand the difference between OEM and retail.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

If it has the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) it's legal.  There are some problems with using OEM installation discs, but it can work, you can google for further information regarding issues related to this.

You can use the OEM to make a legal installation, but unlike a retail copy you will only be able to use it with this one time use.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

If it has the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) it's legal.  There are some problems with using OEM installation discs, but it can work, you can google for further information regarding issues related to this.

You can use the OEM to make a legal installation, but unlike a retail copy you will only be able to use it with this one time use.

Thanks for your post. I have Windows 7 64 Pro on another DVD which was for use on my current PC, and had no problems with that, so would it be safe to assume I could re-use my current disc that I know works, and use the new OEM serial?

Thanks,

Dean

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:53 AM

There shouldn't be a problem as long as the COA hasn't been used with another computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:50 PM

Just to add -

My post was a quote from M/soft plus a link they leave to "General Questions" regarding OEM type installs -

You may also note the disks you linked to were DELL disks -

Edited by noknojon, 28 June 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

Q. What is the difference between a refurbished PC and a used PC?

A. A refurbished PC is a computer system that has had substantial hardware modifications that may require a new operating system license—because the modifications have essentially created a "new" PC.

Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

A used PC is a computer system that has had few or no hardware changes. The license for OEM software on a used PC may not be transferred to a new or different PC. However, the entire used PC, including the software media, manuals, and Certificate of Authenticity, may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights.

Refurbished/used PCs
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 pcbythesea

pcbythesea

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Also, be careful of this quote. "You will get above DVD with COA key". You need more that just the key. You need that physical sticker with the license key on it.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:14 AM

Also, be careful of this quote. "You will get above DVD with COA key". You need more that just the key. You need that physical sticker with the license key on it.

Didn't need any sticker when I built my last computer and used a OEM disc with the COA.  It activated first try, not problems.

#12 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:31 AM

Just to update, I purchased the Windows 7 Licence from the eBay link, and the code worked perfectly, and came with the COA sticker, so all above board. I can't comment if the disc that came with it worked or not, as I used a different OEM disc.

Also, I just had a look through the link to the MS site, and if you read this paragraph

Generally speaking, in the case of OEM or OEM System Builder software, the licence may not be transferred to a new or different PC. However, the entire used PC, including the software media, manuals and Certificate of Authenticity, may be transferred to another end user along with the software licence rights.

I believe this is what the eBay sellers are doing. Basically they are selling the whole PC, along with the licence. If you look at the advert they state the PC can be collected from their location if desired.

Anyway, just thought I'd let everyone know it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users