Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

change product key - and whats involved?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 freelyone

freelyone

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

I would like to ask if this is a benefit or drawback or nothing.

I purchased a lappy and it has two identifiable keys for installed vista basic. I contacted dell and they advise the sticker key is the one to put as default. I even know that system is the place to do it. Why is the question in light of this - since its origin 2008-9 it is bound to have been on the net with possible both keys on this lappy. Is it going to be safer to use the original key or can I assume the newer key replaces something  dark from its past. how do I decide that with nothing to check if it is ???

Fundamentally with the advised change what will occur to the system or other installed keys for programs if anything at all? Will it be safe for the net?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

I really wish I could figure out what you are trying to say.

If your current key works, if it activates properly, then use it.  Who cares what the origin is.  Its not like Microsoft is going to blacklist anymore Vista keys (knock on wood).

Essentially, use whatever key activates.  If it activates, it activates, and all is well.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 freelyone

freelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 29 June 2013 - 10:53 AM

OH, an update- I chose the sticker and it activated straight away `GENUINE`. Ha the luck of it - I`m so used to my phone being the only way for older systems, who knows what the other one would have done, I downloaded a win7 media installation so I could run win8 and it had some `activated crack` in it ....what a joke, like travelling through a mine field (cracks aren't blacklisted?) the other key said it was activated but by what means...and I`m no computer freak so to be sure to be sure.

I guess I should now go on the net with a copy of `vista black` scooped from a lappy--wow what a snazzy machine that  would be, I might put more of these `activated` machines on just so I can REALISE that all the woods been knocked on.

well problem solved - STICKERS ACTIVATE.

Good talking with you.

freelyone - Dell inspiron 1525, dual-core t9900, 4gb kingston ram, wifi card, a screen and all factory programs in mint condition worth $200 currently for me $15 and activated on the net - Id say it was a pretty good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users