Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIn 7 - Reinstall with an Upgrade DVD ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trotski

Trotski

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:43 AM

Hello,

4yrs ago, my computer came with a pre-installed Vista and an offer to upgrade to win 7 when it was going to be launched. I got the upgrade CD at that date and installed Win 7 which worked perfectly until lately.
In order to reinstall, do I first have to go back to vista with my vista restore CD's and then upgrade again to win 7 ?
Or should I only pop in the win 7 upgrade ? It's a companion DVD and it says "This disc does not contain the Windows 7 Operating CD"

The reasons for re-installing are the frequent crashes I get lately, mostly in Mozilla which uses about 400.000k when only on  youtube, yahoo and facebook. (Reinstalled Mozilla, Flash player, and I don't have a lot of add-ons).
But, in general my PC seems like it's struggling to do everything, and it was very fast just a few months ago (for my needs)

I have 4GB RAM
2.10 Ghz
64 bit Win 7 Home edtition

I ran a scan with Minitool box. Does this have anything to do with my computer working so hard on minor tasks ?

Total physical RAM: 4063.03 MB
Available physical RAM: 2495.11 MB
Total Pagefile: 8124.24 MB
Available Pagefile: 6422.29 MB
Total Virtual: 4095.88 MB
Available Virtual: 3976.52 MB

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:54 AM

Hello and welcome to BC! I'm zestypanda, I'm one of the many helpful bleepers here to fix fidgety computers. Please start a new topic in http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/ someone will be along to help you. This seems like something more is going on than just a junked up install of windows.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Please include your MiniToolBox log in your next post.

Please use the following link to provide us with information about your computer so that we can assist you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hold off on posting in Am I Infected for now. Slow computers/crashes are not always due to malware. As of now there is not enough information provided to determine whether or not you should post in Am I Infected.

Please post the logs requested by dc3. IF malware is indicated you will be directed to the proper forum for malware removal.

The answer to your question about Vista and upgrading to Windows 7:

from the 2nd post here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-reinstall-after-vista-to-windows-7-upgrade/6d2cb911-3f84-43e8-9a3b-a460b32467c8

Yes, you should reinstall Windows Vista, then do the upgrade to Windows 7 again.

The requirements for upgrade media though is that you have a previously qualifying operating system such as Windows XP or Vista installed to use it. From the Windows 7 End User License Agreement.

15. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

I recommend you retreive your Windows 7 product key first, write it down somewhere safe:

Here are four utilities, all of which will may display your product keys if they are still there:
Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
(It does a good job of providing a wealth of information.)

Also: http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml
and: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
and RockXP: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4138.html which has additional features,

Backup

Make sure you back up all your important personal files and settings

There may be ways around having to install Vista first. You can search for that or maybe someone else will post how to do it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 28 June 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#5 Trotski

Trotski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:52 AM

Hi

I chose to reinstall Vista and follow with the upgrade. It started well but I had an unexpected crash in the middle of the process. I tried recommencing but I got an error when launching the recovery DVDs - not found. I eventually had to install a Win7 copy which seems to work perfectly but, shame, it's not the original licence I intended to keep.

My Mozilla still takes a lot of memory and CPU so I'll migrate to that specific thread on the forum.

4GB RAM and 2.13 Ghz shouldn't have to struggle to keep 3-4 flash tabs opened at the same time.

Thanks for the advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users