Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Converting .wma To .mp3

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daise

daise

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:36 AM

I have a new computer all set up, but it's not connected to the net yet.

Every time I play a .wma file an Internet window would come up looking for a "license", and stop the music. I figured it's the .wma files as all the .mp3 files seem to be working fine, and I've turned off all internet options in the Tools menu.

So if I convert them to .mp3 files, how would I do it? I can't d/l any other programs as there's no net access on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 12:59 AM

You will need to download a format conversion utility. Sorry! If you have access to another computer (I assume you do) you can dl one to a flash drive or other external source and install it. Could probably do it on a floppy. Google the net for free programs. There are many to choose from. Microsoft has a fix for this, but that is not much help if you can't connect to the blighters!

Edited by gunner, 17 April 2006 - 01:10 AM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:37 AM

Hello,

Just to add a bit to Gunner's comments. For converting your WMA files, I would recommend downloading WinLAME. It is an open source program that is based on quite possibly the best MP3 encoder that is available for free. The LAME encoder itself runs on the command line, and that is where WinLAME steps in to make life easier for the casual user.

It supports several formats, and has a great deal of options. Encoding is quick, and unlike most other MP3 encoders I have used, it creates errorless encoded copies of the files that you wish to convert. It also allows batch processing so you can convert whole albums at one time if you wish. It is also a very light weight program.

If you have any trouble reaching the Download site from the WinLAME home link, here is the link to the download locations page from sourceforge:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/winlame...e4.msi?download

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users