Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't navigate

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Greetings: Re: O/S Windows 7. About three days ago, my computer developed the following problem;      A local Supermarket chain is running a contest where you have to enter a number taken from a game ticket and enter it on their website. I entered their website and clicked on to the box where the entries have to be entered and clicked on it and all I got was a blank screen. Another example is that I received an e-mail in answer to a question and it directed me to click on a link provided with the e-mail and I clicked on it and got the same blank screen. Furthermore, I tried to download a free program and clicked on the download box and again, I got that blank screen. It was suggested that I should check the Windows 7 downloads which I downloaded up-to-date and the problem still exists. Browser is IE 10 which I went into and it says it is running without add-ons even though all of the add-ons are enabled. I have run a 6 hr custom scan with my Security system which is Microsoft Security Essentials which revealed 3 minor problems that were eliminated but did not affect the problem. Thank You.

Edited by hamluis, 28 June 2013 - 09:26 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:20 AM

IE10 has bugs with Windows 7... all the different glitches I'm reading every day are very different.

Try Chrome or Firefox, or (if you really must Microsoft) uninstall IE10 then Install IE9....

You could try resetting IE10 first, but I doubt it will help.

#3 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

Thank you for your reply TsVk!. I tried all of your suggestions, including reset of IE10. Problem is still there. I feel that if I was able to do a System Restore, it will solve the problem, but I cannot establish an earlier Restore Date. I have tried to create an earlier date and it seems that it does but when I go back into System Restore to do it, the only date is always the date I am on the computer.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Did you place a mark in the Choose a different restore point box?

restore_zps59228b17.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:23 PM

Yes I did.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

It's hard to tell from a distance Robert. If you uninstalled it as you said so, then re installed an earlier version, it then we can assume safely that the problem lies outside of IE. I don't understand how it can be intermittent though, unless there is a script incompatibility. As you said you reset your browser so it cannot be one of your plug-ins because they are all gone right? And you tried Chrome and Firefox and the same thing is still happening in them?

Next, uninstall all versions of Java, Shockwave and Flash. however they may appear. Then run CCleaner to dump your temps files and junk.

working now?

The penny just dropped for me. Do you normally have system restore set up? If all older points are deleted you can be fairly sure you are infected with malware. It doesn't just ruin its functionality by itself...

#7 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:00 PM

OK. I uninstalled Java, and Flash. I didn't have Shockwave and cleaned. If I had malware, wouldn't that problem have shown up on the scan my security ran yesterday. Almost 6 hrs. and 3 minor things showed up which I took care of anyhow. I don't know too much about System Restore but I have used in successfully in the past. As a matter of possible interest, this is what is left of my programs.

Adobe Reader XI (11.0.3) Cox toolbar, Dell Resources CD, Google Earth, Microsoft Framework 4 Client Profile, Microsoft Framework 4 Extended, Microsoft Security Essentials, Microsoft Silverlight, Microsoft Works, Revo Uninstaller, Windows Media Encoder 9 Series, Yahoo Software Update and Yahoo Toolbar.

#8 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

I did a scan and there was no malware detected

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

And I guess you tried running your IE, Firefox and Chrome and they are all blank paging you on the net randomly?, but your computer otherwise is running fine?

This really sounds like browser jacking malware mate... It's irritating stuff.

You've got toolbars and junk on there, they can't just be uninstalled. Your antivirus doesn't pick up on all this sort of stuff, and if it found 3 little things the chances are there is more. I could advise you on what to do, but there's some heavy hitters over in malware removal who can analyze your first logs and get you on your feet again quickly.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

You could run adwCleaner (hit delete after scan) and then Junkware Removal Tool.

If these remove a load of stuff you'd be better getting malware guys to take a look at the logs, just to be sure.

#11 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

TsVk! Thank You for the information, but unfortunately, I can not navigate to the sites you quote. If they were more detailed I could address them in my browser. Thank You

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:42 PM

those downloads are here off bleepingcomputer...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

......................................................................................................................

good luck.

#13 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

OK, I ran both. There were many deletions and  here is no change in the problem but there is something peculiar that happened in this whole process. TsVk!. You gave me two links in your 4:30 posting and when I tried the adwCleaner I got the usual blank page, so I x'd out and got the I.E block which give an option to Close all tabs or just the current tab. I took the current tab and then right-clicked the adwCleaner and it took me to the adwCleaner download page. It was quick an I didn't realize what happened so I went back after I did all the cleaning and deleting to see if what I experienced was true, It was and it worked too for the junkware page as well but still doesn't with e-mails where links are quoted.

#14 Robert Sukovich

Robert Sukovich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 358 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

I want to thank all of you for your help. From what I have read, it is a common problem and a lot of people are experiencing it. I have found other ways to navigate and have access to all the things that I have had before, so it's OK. So consider this case solved. Thank You again. Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users