Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer / USB issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bonnjer

bonnjer

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:08 PM

I have my printer at school that is driving me nuts. It's an HP Laserjet P1505n that has been installed and functioning properly for the last three years or so. The janitors came along when they were waxing the floors and disconnected everything. Usually, that's not a big deal, but for some reason this time, when I connected it all back up, the computer won't recognize the device anymore. It will give a "USB device not recognized" message. All of the connections are secure. I know that the USB ports on the machine are working because I swapped the mouse around and it worked.

I tried uninstalling the printer and reinstalling with the install CD. No luck. I then grabbed another printer out of storage (an HP Laserjet P2015) and tried installing it with the install CD. No luck again. When I try to add a printer and have the computer search for the printer through plug and play, it can't find anything. When I tried to manually install, it ends up giving me the message "Unable to install printer. The print processor does not exist."

I searched for that message and found a suggestion to copy the print processor files from a different machine and install them on the nonworking machine. Tried that, didn't work.

Any thoughts on what is going on here? I'm going back to school tomorrow to fight with it some more as I need my printer in the classroom. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

When you tried the other printer, did you use the same USB cable or was it a different USB cable? If it was the same USB cable, then try a new/different USB cable. Maybe this time the cable got damaged.

#3 chandrra

chandrra

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

what a nice suggestion given by smax013.. thanks to the cool discussion, i came to know new things about printers.....never copy the files generated in  one system to other system after installation is successful in other system. the files generated will have the signatures of other system only. and they wont suit to any other system. coming to smax reply,... its a fabulous reply i hope, try it....other thing I can tell you is try to connect every cable before booting and then boot, why because computer processor will recognize accessories from booting stage itself... other thing is try to insert the disc containing the printer drivers and operate in repair mode... first confirm that power is coming to printer and lights are glowing in it ( connect it separately to the power source without computer) ensure that there might be any dust or waste fixed in the whole we place the printer cables.... if the problem is not solved. try to contact the customer care services of your computer.. check warranty card. you can call customer care services ( if they are toll free) though your warranty is over.... try to avail the tech support from manufacturers only. why because they will have developed tolls and qualified technicians to solve the issue. If you don't have the details of customer care contact number get it from http://customercaresupportnumber.com/ which provides plenty of information of hundreds of companies of USA, UK and CANADA and even for different regions also.

Hope you will get it done on call itself.

#4 bonnjer

bonnjer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:58 PM

I went in and fought with the gremlins today.  Tried a few different things.  

First, I changed out the USB cord, just to ensure that it wasn't damaged.  That didn't help on either printer...still coming up as not recognized.  I also turned off the Symantec anti-virus, just in case it was blocking something.  Didn't help either.

At that point, I connected the P1505n again and tried manually installing the software again.  This got the computer to recognize the printer.  Then I tried changing the ports, LPT1, COM1, DOT4_001, etc.  On some of them, it instantly failed to print.  On others, it wouldn't fail, but it would not actually print.  

So it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue.  On the ports, I didn't see any that were specifically listed as USB, so I wasn't sure what to delete.  What am I not doing or seeing to get this thing printing again?

#5 bonnjer

bonnjer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

I just found this website:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/add-virtual-printer-port-usb-windows-xp-40282.html

Does this look like something I would need to try next?

#6 bonnjer

bonnjer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

Problem solved!

There were no USB001 ports to delete, so I just disconnected the printer, uninstalled the printer software again, and restarted the computer several times. After that, I plugged the USB from the printer to computer with the printer's power off and then powered it on. The computer recognized the printer and I installed the software. It is printing fine now.

Thanks for the help guys!

#7 chandrra

chandrra

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

Thank god your problem solved,

another thing is day before yesterday, my friend reported a problem that he is unable to the desktop icons, but his computer is nice...everything is working fine.. he is having MS office 7 on MS XP-SP3.

please suggest me to solve this problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users