Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My secret tool against tricky malware.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

Since I work on sick computers as a hobby, for spare cash and for family members, I thought "why not make a portable toolkit to make my work easier?" So, I did that. I took a sandisk 4gb thumb drive and along with a post at my favorite blog, remove-malware, I gleamed ideas of what to include in my arsenal.

Sb0bfxRh.png

My Sandisk,

Z2RtFdGh.png

What's inside it. First I grouped antiviruses, then browsers, then clean up tools, removal tools, then plugins and software that commonly needs to be updated. Also, I have 7zip 32bit and 64bit portable, I have packaged it into a self extracting 7zip exe for cleanliness. 

N68uiVnh.png

The free antiviruses I have are Avast, Avg 32bit and 64bit, Avira, Comodo Security Premium, Microsoft security essentials 32bit and 64bit (yes, people do use MSE.) I hope I have all the alternative installers that have 32bit and 64bit separately.

ysXuwwSh.png

I have Firefox and Chrome offline installers, I might add Opera, though I haven't met anyone who actually uses Opera, should I include it also?

hNE3g65h.png

Under cleanup, I have Ccleaner and Auslogic disk defragger, I use Ccleaner to clean up temp files from malware and to clean up the computer. Then I run a disk defrag to optimize the computer. I once found 25GB in temp files on someone's computer. 

eF5qPdoh.png

Then, under removal tools I have AdwCleaner to clean up adware. aswMBR to scan fro rootkits and bootkits, Comodo cleaning essentials 32bit and 64bit, Combofix, Gmer for more rootkit slaughter, Hitmanpro 32 and 64bit for a quick cleanup and second opinion. Mbam-Chameleon to quickly deploy mbam, and then Rkill to kill any rouge programs inhibiting the starting of any security tools. Then finally I have Tdsskiller, to search and destroy those pesky rootkits. 

GU81usm.png

Then, finally, since most computers are horribly out of date when it comes to Flash, Shockwave, Adobe Air, Adobe Reader, Java, and Silverlight.

This is what I currently have on my USB toolkit and I am always open for suggestions and additions, if this is the wrong forum then I'm sorry but this seemed like the best place to post this.  

Edited by Zestypanda, 28 June 2013 - 04:05 PM.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:41 PM

Should I add a Linux distro for data recovery? Or put it on a bigger USB and have a windows 7 install?

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:19 PM

I don't make a habit of critiquing toolkits, as what works for you may or may not work for me. But I will make an exception here. I do not suggest keeping a copy of ComboFix on your flash drive. If you are going to go work on a computer take a fresh copy with you that day. Not an outdated one that will likely cause you problems.

You have been around long enough that I won't bore you with the ComboFix should only be used under the direction of someone trained in the use of the tool speech. But I added the line for anyone else reading this topic that may not be aware of the risks associated with the tool.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for the info animal, rawr :P So, with caution *pokes combofix with a stick*, I should download a fresh copy every time I have to use my toolkit reguardless of if I have to use combo or not? 

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:25 PM

If you know you're not going to use ComboFix that day with your toolkit, then no don't bother with a download. Wait till you're actually going to use it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

I've made a solution to the problem, before I go out onto the "battle field" I made a batch file and used wget.exe to download combofix, problem is I get

"C:\Users\Ryan\Desktop\Toolbox>wget http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/dl/c1313

360aae5618217c05474fc7a1771/51cdfb94/windows/security/anti-virus/c/combofix/Comb
oFix.exe
217c05474fc7a1771/51cdfb94/windows/security/anti-virus/c/combofix/ComboFix.exe
Resolving download.bleepingcomputer.com... 208.43.120.24
Connecting to download.bleepingcomputer.com|208.43.120.24|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 410 Gone
2013-06-28 14:24:56 ERROR 410: Gone.

"

Are the links on this site (download section) dynamic or is it because I have tested the batch file too many times and it's blocking me from downloading it again?

#7 Zestypanda

Zestypanda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:47 PM

I figured it out, I'll just wget it from subs direct link. Thanks animal. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users