Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Generally Slow

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Seatbelt99

Seatbelt99

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

Sorry if this is long, but I want to be as detailed as I can in hopes of getting good suggestions. 

I've got quite a nice computer, but it runs far slower than it should.  I don't do anything that is processor intensive like gaming or photoshop or anything like that.  

I am a freelance writer and 95% of what I do is write and research. 

What I have open on my computer:

*****************************************************************************************

Generally I have a bunch of browser windows open.  One which is Google Chrome with 10-15 tabs open with things like gMail, eLance, some forums, a google docs spreadsheet, facebook and some random sites I'm using for research. 

I then also have Firefox open with Pandora on and another gmail account.  

In addition I have AIM, Skype, TeamViewer, iTunes and several open office writer documents open (open office is a free, open source version of Microsoft office if you didn't know).  

I also have the free version of Maleware Anti-Malware.  I've run scans and everything seems clean.  

*****************************************************************************************

What do I mean by 'running slow'

****************************************************************************************

Sometimes when I switch between programs it will take a few seconds to do. 

Sometimes when in Facebook it will not scroll down right away, it has quite a delay (3-10 seconds). 

Occasionally chrome will freeze up for 5-15 seconds, then either crash or start working again. 

Sometimes when trying to watch a youtube video it will be all jumpy and not work properly. 

Just generally slower than this computer should be.  

I work in IT all day, and while I'm not a computer expert, I would say I have a better than average understanding of computers so I guess just trust me when I say the computer is running slow. lol

****************************************************************************************

Specs of the computer: 

Windows 7 (64bit) Ultimate w/ SP1 - All the recommended updates from MS.

Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @2.67 GHz (

12GB ram

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+ Video card

If you need to know anything else about the computer, just let me know and I can try to get the information for you. 

Any suggestions you might have would be most appreciated.  If I can't get this figured out I'll have to just format the computer and re-install windows.  Maybe go to WIN 8...IDK.  

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look at my problem!

Michael

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Does the computer run fine after you shut it down and restart it, then become slower as the day goes on?

Based on just the number of windows, documents and programs you generally have open, it's only natural for your computer to begin running slow after a while, even with the 12GB of system memory installed. When you've got that many applications and services running on a computer all day, eventually your virtual memory and your system memory are going to become full, and this will cause the problems you are experiencing. Rebooting will clear the memory, but once the PC runs again for a while with all those programs open and running, the problem will return.

My advice is to close out programs, tabs and documents you aren't using, and be sure to shut down the PC from time to time. If the problem persists when you have a minimal number of instances open and running, then I would suggest running some diagnostics. But for now, I'd say there's probably nothing really wrong with the machine, you're just working the system and virtual memory too hard.

#3 Seatbelt99

Seatbelt99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

Is there any way to clear the memory out without restarting the computer?  I just hate rebooting because I need all this stuff open for my writing job and it is a hassle to reboot. lol. 

It is faster and more responsive right after a reset, yes.  It seems like with 12 gig of ram and no real memory/cpu hogs running it should be ok, but I'm not expert on that type of thing.  

I do close out any tabs that I won't need again, I just use a lot of them for my writing.  

Thanks for the information and suggestions slatechguy!

#4 Seatbelt99

Seatbelt99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Also, I should have mentioned...

When I go to task manager it shows that only 5.93 gigs of the physical memory are even used.  I don't know how that type of thing works, but it seems like if it were an issue with too much memory and virtual memory being used up it would have 12 gig used, right? 

CPU usage seems to hang steady around 10-15% with CPU1, 3, 5 and 7 'parked'.  

Thanks again.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

One other thing you can do it to open the disk cleanup tool (Start menu>Accessories>System tools>Disk cleanup) and empty out temporary files and temporary Internet files from time to time. This will free up space on the hard drive.

As for the CPU cores being parked, your computer is doing that to save power. That means those cores aren't being used -- which could also eventually lead to slowness issues if you have lots of programs running. If you go into Control Panel>Power options, make sure you are using the Balanced or, probably preferable in your case, the High performance option. High performance will prevent your CPU cores from parking, which should help with the slowness issue.

With all those programs open and running, yes, you will begin to encounter memory issues when the computer has been running for a while. It isn't just your RAM -- your virtual memory will be taxed, as more and more data is swapped between system memory (RAM) and virtual memory (which is on your hard drive). It's this constant swapping, or paging, that slows the computer down. And the more stuff you have on the hard drive, the less room you have for virtual memory, and the longer it takes for the hard drive to search for and find data in virtual memory.

So it's always a good idea to close programs and tabs you're not going to use for a while, and to shut down the computer itself if you're not going to use it for a while.

If after all that, the problems persist, then I'd say there's something wrong with your PC. Right now, you just need to adjust your usage and your settings. :thumbup2:

#6 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

One thing you could try is installing ccleaner, under applications select Internet cache for Firefox and chrome, I've encountered chrome amassing over 3gb of cache once. It also may be the horrible memory leak that Mozilla has yet to fix, Firefox is notoriously bad at memory, and since chrome runs every add on and plugin in its own process it can grow ram usage EMMENSLY.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#7 Seatbelt99

Seatbelt99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

I went ahead and ran the disk cleanup tool as you suggested.  Also moved my power settings to high performance.  Everything is running smooth as silk now!  Thank you so much!!

I will have to keep this in mind for if/when it starts slowing down again!

Thanks ZAestpanda as well.  I've heard of the ccleaner tool, I'll have to grab it and give it a try if I get any further problems. 

I really appreciate both of your input on this!!

Michael

#8 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

You're welcome, one caveat is that turning it to high performance will kill your battery life expediency. My battery is now dead. I ran it on high performance because I had to have the screen brightened up all the way because of my eyes and I originally got it as a desktop replacement so I had to crank it up for the performance.

#9 Seatbelt99

Seatbelt99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

This is a desktop so that's no issue for me, but thanks for letting me know!

Michael

#10 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

Wait, why were your powere settings to power saver on a desktop, why would a desktop need power management software in the first place? This shows how long it's been since I bought a desktop. Hehe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users