Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Prabe

Prabe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

Hello...

So I'm just wondering if an Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 would be a good enough upgrade from my old GeForce GTX 275 869? 

I only intend to use the card for latest games at 1080p on high settings and possible some next gen games on fairly high/decent settings and of course Photoshop.

And I see at: http://www.hwcompare.com/12110/geforce-gtx-275-vs-radeon-hd-7850/ that the pexel rate is only 9 percent different?  What's the significant of that? And how accurate is this comparison?

My computer specification are:

Intel Core i5 3570k

8GB DDr3 RAM @ 1333mhz

And of course GTX 275

Intel SSD at 180gb.

Mobo Asrock Z77 Extreme3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

I looked at this thread last night and didn't really have a comprehensive answer.  If my budget was around the $150-175 mark, then a 7850 would be near the top of the list for choices.

A 7850 is a mid level card that will run most games at "high" without AA or extreme post processing.  Certain stuff, like the Metro series or Crysis 3 and certain other titles will run acceptably, but not at high settings.  Tesselation will really bog down the card.  That is something to consider if you want to run DX11 titles with eye candy on.

As to the original question, a 7850 is definitely better than what you have now.  From the factory they are a fairly relaxed card, as in they are set up very conservatively.  They have a fair amount of overclocking room.  For a 1920X1090 monitor, it is a good setup.

Photoshop- depends on which Photoshop versuion and whether it has any Open CL support. 

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users