Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ransomware now can't boot up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 edmacd

edmacd

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Hi, last night my PC got infected by ransomware, something to do with the Kent Police a fine of 200 for illegally downloading. The ironic bit was, I was reading Computer Active and trying out various sites they suggested to stop the Uk/USA government snooping on me. I was on ixquick when the ransomware notice popped up. Immediately I rebooted the PC and tried to get into Safe Mode. No matter which option I tried, nothing would boot up in Safe Mode. I thought if I could get into Safe Mode I'd just use System Restore.

Anyway I followed some advice downloaded, burned to disk (usuing my daughters laptop), and used Microsoft's Security Essentials Offline. I did a full scan which took around 3 hours. After it finished I restarted the PC but now it won't do anything. All I get is one beep, then a black screen. No messages, etc. Before using Security Essentials at least the PC would boot up until the Ransomware screen took over.

I've tried Hirens Boot Disk, I've even tried using an XP disk to repair or reinstall, but that gets nowhere either. Just a message saying EMM386: Warning: Address line A20 already enabled. Frame = D000 Kb=.

So am at a total loss as to how to get functional again.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks, Eddie.

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2013 - 02:47 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.

Hold on there....

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 hairymonster2000

hairymonster2000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

I believe there is a Panda (no pun intended) rescue disc for the police virus. You boot from it, let it do it's job then run malwarebytes, spybot and your a/v prog to remove all traces.

#4 edmacd

edmacd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for that one Hairymonster. I found the program Panda SafeDisk, I'll give it a go and let you know how things worked out. Hopefully it will, I'm lost without my machine and can't use my daughters all the time!

#5 edmacd

edmacd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

A big thanks to you Hairymonster, worked a treat. Spent all morning running malwarebytes, sophos, etc, once I got my machine back in action. Clean as a whistle. Panda have a lot of handy free tools too. I'll keep that program though just in case;

Your gratefully, Eddie.

#6 hairymonster2000

hairymonster2000

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

No problem Eddie, glad to have been of service. I've used it a couple of times for other people. The best thing about it is the price ;)

Clive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users