Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Halp! BIOS is not being kind to me...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bridgemn

bridgemn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:16 PM

UPDATE:  Solved it.  Disregard.  I'm leaving this all here for reference.

Hello all.  Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a new (to me) HP M1170N computer.  It came with Windows 7.  I purchased it because the mother board on my M1080N fried.  I was setting it up last night and Media Center was giving me fits.  So, I took the HDD out of my M1080N (which is loaded with XP) and put it in the M1170N.  When I booted I got a warning:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I put the HDD with Windows 7 back in and I get the same message shown above.  I apparently did something stupid in BIOS because for a while my boot device priority list was gone.

BIOS is: v02.54 © Copyright 1985-2004, American Megatrends, Inc.

Update: I went into every screen in BIOS and loaded setup defaults.  That got me back my boot device list.

It now shows:

Boot Device Priority

1st Boot Device        [3M-HL-DT-STDVDR]

> CDROM Drives

> Network Boot

It still won't boot with either HDD.  It will boot to a CD/DVD.  I have Windows XP in the DVD drive and it will boot to that.  Not sure if that is any help, just more information.

Also, I have a Personal Media drive.  When I insert it the boot process stalls on the HP welcome screen.

I would prefer to get the Windows 7 HDD working again, but would like the option to use the XP HDD as well.

Right now, I will take ANything.

Thank you,

Greg

Edited by bridgemn, 27 June 2013 - 12:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:57 PM

UPDATE:  Solved it.  Disregard.  I'm leaving this all here for reference.

You may want to post what you did to solve the problem as it might help someone else in the future.

#3 bridgemn

bridgemn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Well, I was trying to quietly avoid that...

I have been able to fix every issue I have had with my computers by using the internet, and in particular this forum, as a resource.  This one however kicked my butt, and I could find nothing similar online.  There is one ongoing problem that not even the best IT person can prevent nor remedy, and it was the culprit in the case as well.

PEBKAC

The problem was manmade, the remedy was a smack upside the head, and all viewing this should simply enjoy the chuckle.

8-)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

Well, I was trying to quietly avoid that...

I have been able to fix every issue I have had with my computers by using the internet, and in particular this forum, as a resource.  This one however kicked my butt, and I could find nothing similar online.  There is one ongoing problem that not even the best IT person can prevent nor remedy, and it was the culprit in the case as well.

PEBKAC

The problem was manmade, the remedy was a smack upside the head, and all viewing this should simply enjoy the chuckle.

8-)

PEBKAC = Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. :P

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 bridgemn

bridgemn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

dc3,

I'm assuming that your clarification is for those who did not already know what PEBKAC meant.  Thank you.  Now EVERYone can chuckle at my mistake and not just those who already understood the acronym.  8-p

One has to laugh occasionally, even if it's at one's self.

Edited by bridgemn, 28 June 2013 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users