Hi D Willis,
I suggest you to reset the Internet Explorer settings and check if Internet Explorer works properly. Please follow the steps provided below to reset it:
1. Click on the "Start" and then on "Control Panel".
2. Select the View by option at the top right of the Control Panel and Set it to Large icons or Small icons.
3. Click on the "Internet Options" icon.
4. Go to the “Advanced” tab and click on “Reset”. Please note that this will disable all the add-ons and remove favorites.
5. Click "OK" to close the Internet Options window.
6. Start Internet Explorer by clicking on "Start" and type "Internet Explorer" without quotes in Start Search and press Enter.
7. Check if the Internet Explorer works properly.
Note: Internet Explorer 8 is the default browser in Windows 7 and it cannot be uninstalled.
Please let me know if you need further assistance.