Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no browser

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 D Willis

D Willis

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

My Wife's laptop is a dell inspiron 2 years old.When trying to connect to the internet a window opens stating "Enternet Explorer has stopped working.I have run a virus scan AVG and no virus shown,run malwaebytes and found one and got rid of that.Run superspyware and found the normal things and cleared them.IE does not show up in control panel,I don't know if it's supposed to or not.

Edited by D Willis, 27 June 2013 - 10:34 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

Authorized Dell Representative

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:31 PM

Hi D Willis,

I suggest you to reset the Internet Explorer settings and check if Internet Explorer works properly. Please follow the steps provided below to reset it:

1. Click on the "Start" and then on "Control Panel".
2. Select the View by option at the top right of the Control Panel and Set it to Large icons or Small icons.
3. Click on the "Internet Options" icon.
4. Go to the “Advanced” tab and click on “Reset”. Please note that this will disable all the add-ons and remove favorites.
5. Click "OK" to close the Internet Options window.
6. Start Internet Explorer by clicking on "Start" and type "Internet Explorer" without quotes in Start Search and press Enter.
7. Check if the Internet Explorer works properly.

Note: Internet Explorer 8 is the default browser in Windows 7 and it cannot be uninstalled.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#3 D Willis

D Willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Did not change anything.There are 2 more laptops and 2pc's running W7 SP1 and IE10 and they work fine.

#4 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

Hi D Willis,

Thank you for your reply and for providing an update on the status.

I suggest you to disable the Google Toolbar if it is installed and check if Internet Explorer works properly. You will need to install the next version Internet Explorer and check for issue resolution. Internet Explorer 10 can be downloaded from the following link:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/internet-explorer/ie-10-worldwide-languages

You can install and use a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome if Internet Explorer is not required for any particular task.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#5 D Willis

D Willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

I cannot get on the internet on the laptop,I am on one of the pc's.There is no google on the laptop.I have tried msconfig to eliminate all start up services with no change.Do you have info on using the return to factory settings,that seems to be the only way to fix this problem(I hope!).

Edited by D Willis, 27 June 2013 - 04:05 PM.

#6 RajathAtDell

RajathAtDell

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hi D Willis,

Restoring the system to factory defaults will fix errors with the software. You can refer the following link for the steps to restore the system to factory defaults:
http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=125843

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajath N
#iworkfordell

#7 D Willis

D Willis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

Update.....the problem was the latest update for IE10 yesterday.I uninstalled IE10 and am back to IE9 and everything is working again.I will reinstall IE10 but not until Microsoft corrects it's mistake.Thanks for your efforts,I learned a couple new things during this and I hope I can remember them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users