Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Items detected in MBAM scan, is computer really clean now?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Try this: http://www.guidingtech.com/870/system-restore-turned-off-group-policy-error-windows/

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 appleorchard

appleorchard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

Okay, from http://www.guidingtech.com/870/system-restore-turned-off-group-policy-error-windows/,  I tried Method 1 but after typing gpedit.msc in Run, it could not be found. So then I tried Method 2 and I was able to delete the two items and then restarted. Before the computer startup would get to the log in window though the screen was black and said something about problems (I can't remember exactly) and asked if I wanted to startup normally or run Startup Repair, I chose "start windows normally" but after a few seconds the screen would cycle back to that question again, so I chose "Startup Repair" which then ran for a minute or so, and then I think it chose a former system restore point.

Once fully booted, I went to the System Restore window and I still cannot uncheck the Local Disk C and it still has "Configuration is disabled by Group Policy:". Also I clicked on the System Restore button and saw that there is only one restore point there now (made from this most recent restart), but there had been other restore points just before I deleted those two registry items. I would like to get those restore points back.

1. Is there any possible way to get any of the other/old restore points back?

2. Should I start a new topic in the Windows Vista forum about how to solve the system restore problem (and possibly how to disable group policy by doing so) since this isn't really about a virus-type issue?

#18 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

If restore points are they're gone.

Not much we can do about it.

Let's try something else...

Download Windows Repair (All in One) from this site

Install the program then run it.

NOTE 1. In Windows Vista, 7 and 8 right click on the program, click "Run As Administrator".
NOTE 2. Disable your antivirus program before running Windows Repair.

Go to Step 2 and allow it to run CheckDisk by clicking on Do It button:

p22002979.gif

Once that is done then go to Step 3 and allow it to run System File Check by clicking on Do It button:

p22002980.gif

Go to Step 4 and under "System Restore" click on Create button:

p22002982.gif

Go to Start Repairs tab and click Start button.

Leave all checkmarks as they're.
NOTE for Windows 8 users. Reset Registry Permissions is NOT checked by design.

Click on Start button.

p22003030.gif

Post Windows Repair log (_windows_repair_log.txt) which is located in the following folder:
64-bit systems - C:\Program Files (x86)\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs
32-bit systems - C:\Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#19 appleorchard

appleorchard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

Things are worse now; the computer can't fully startup.

I downloaded Windows Repair (All In One), ran it and clicked on "Do It" for Check Disk, then the program said it needed to restart the computer so I clicked ok. Once the computer restarted, the same screens came up just like yesterday. A black screen called Windows Error Recovery asked if I wanted to start Windows normally or run Startup Repair. I chose Startup Repair, and that took five to ten minutes, and then the box would read that the computer needs to restart so it restarted, but the same screens would just cycle through again. Startup Repair probably ran about five times, and then the box read "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" and it had an option to view problem details.

So right now I cannot actually log into the computer and use it, so I am posting this from another computer. I am very concerned about all this.

#20 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html/page__view__findpost__p__160520
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

My Website

#21 appleorchard

appleorchard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

I'm sorry but I don't know what brand of hard drive is in the computer (Compaq laptop). Does it explain somewhere in that link how to find out, because I couldn't find it in there.

Also, the computer I am using right now does have a cd/dvd burner rom, but the driver (I believe) is missing because when I click on "Computer" the drive doesn't show up, so I will need to get that fixed so I can burn a cd. I don't know how to do that though, so should I make a different topic for that in the XP forum (which is what this computer has running)?

#22 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

so should I make a different topic for that in the XP forum

It may be a good idea.

My Website

#23 appleorchard

appleorchard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

so should I make a different topic for that in the XP forum

It may be a good idea.

okay I did that. 

I'm sorry if my last reply was confusing because I talked about two different computers, but the first part of my reply:

I'm sorry but I don't know what brand of hard drive is in the computer (Compaq laptop). Does it explain somewhere in that link how to find out, because I couldn't find it in there.

was about the original computer which won't startup now. So how do I proceed with your instructions about running hard drive diagnostics? I know I'll have to wait to burn the cd until I get the driver for the computer I'm using right now, but I am still confused about the link you gave me.

#24 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

Go Start>Control Panel>Device Manager and let me know what you have listed under "Disk drives".

My Website

#25 appleorchard

appleorchard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:23 PM

I (think) you are asking about the original computer (laptop running Windows Vista), but that is the one that will not fully startup currently, so I can't log on and open up Control Panel, etc.

#26 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

You may need to open hard drive bay on the back of the laptop and take a look.

It shouldn't require removing more than 1 or 2 screws.

My Website

#27 appleorchard

appleorchard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

I tried running the computer in safe mode and it logged on, so then I opened up Device Manager. Under "Disk drives" is:

WDC WD1600BEVT-60ZCT0 ATA Device

If this is not an infection problem, should I start a topic in the Windows Vista forum?

#28 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

That's probably better idea.

BTW your drive is made by Western Digital.

My Website

#29 appleorchard

appleorchard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

ok I'll do that.

Thank you for the help to getting the computer clean. :)

#30 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

You're very welcome p22002759.gif

My Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users