Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open office docs from the network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

I am having a very strange problem.  I have a workstation that cannot open office documents off of the network.  It is not a permissions issue as I can log in as myself (with network admin permissions) and still have the same trouble.  It is not a certain document either it is anything office.  I can copy the document to the local drive and it will open without any trouble but they cannot be opened from the network.  Any ideas on what would cause this???  I will most likely be reinstalling the workstation fairly soon if I cannot find a solution.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hispaladin

hispaladin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

A little bit of digging on google and I got lucky.  It is the result of "Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in" on a XP machine running office 2003 basic.  remove the add-in and all is well with the world again.  Good old microsoft update strikes again  :killcomp:

#3 th3fall3n777

th3fall3n777

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:49 PM

:smash:  File Validation was an "ingenious" update that Microsoft pushed out through the Windows Update service (good way to force something on millions of people) that literally checks your license of Microsoft Office prior to allowing you to open Office documents.  I have literally worked with dozens of people who had severe to moderate delays opening Word and Excel files from network shares because of this one. 

Another tip - not sure what system of patching you use in your environment, but this would be a could update to have your Network Admin exclude from WSUS or whatever other patch deployment system you use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users