Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TABOO: trusted installer (isnt me)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 freelyone

freelyone

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

A small question for me please..! I have picked up a bargain lappy and have swept it out, up till user accounts-avoiding a complete reinstall as it looks like they did that before I got into .old folder-this account has a name I cant live with...trusted installer the end of the line isn't it? Can you help me change the name (only)?

P.S - Ive taken the liberty to remove the user account of the same name. (is that ok?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

See pertinent info at http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-is-trustedinstaller-and-why-does-it-keep-me-from-renaming-files/ .

Louis

#3 freelyone

freelyone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:57 PM

OK, I think I have found the right field, It is called `the name of the computer` .....oops

(well monkey sees and monkey do) the name in trusted installer NOT anything to do with it, although I learned what it does but it is pointing in the wrong direction. Thanks anyway.

While your still on can you give me advice on oem keys? (or post the red herring in the post boxes) as I have two -ones a sticker- the others activated.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

<<While your still on can you give me advice on oem keys? (or post the red herring in the post boxes) as I have two -ones a sticker- the others activated.>>

Not sure what you mean...but I'll try to provide useful info on such.

Any OEM license/key for Windows...belongs only to the system on which that version of Windows was initially installed.  The key cannot be used on another system, it is not transferable in any way.  It belongs to that system alone.

Users can use another key on that original system...to install Windows over the existing install or to do a repair or clean install...but the original key then becomes worthless, of no value whatever for use on any other system.

If there is a difference between the original key assigned the system...and the one currently reflected on the system...someone did a repair/clean install with a different key/license..  Such current key/license may be illegal or legal...depends on the character of the person who did the install.  If the version of Windows is the same...a smart person would have just used the key originally assigned to that system.

You can use any of several tools...to find out which key is actually used by a working Windows install.  I find that Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder provides accurate data re Windows keys.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users