Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question and not sure where to post?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ac19189

ac19189

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:00 AM

I have two active internet connection in two dif locations I was kind of leaning at setting up a VPN or something but I am not sure if thats what I want to do I have noticed the internet I am using here is far slower than the one I use at my other location. Could I make use of the internet connection from the other location using a VPN or would I need to do something else?

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2013 - 03:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

I have two active internet connection in two dif locations I was kind of leaning at setting up a VPN or something but I am not sure if thats what I want to do I have noticed the internet I am using here is far slower than the one I use at my other location. Could I make use of the internet connection from the other location using a VPN or would I need to do something else?

What specifically are you trying to accomplish? In other words, what do you believe you need the VPN for? What do you want the VPN to accomplish for you? Are you trying to "connect" the two locations together? If so, are you talking about one computer at each location? Or are you talking about two offices with a bunch of computers that you want to effectively network together?

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

And to add to that, if you're hoping the VPN will somehow provide you with a "tunnel" to the other, faster Internet connection, that's not how VPNs work. VPNs provide secure connections -- your data speeds using the VPN will still be constrained by the speed of your router, your network interface card, the quality of your Ethernet/WiFi connection, the amount of bandwidth available from your Internet service providers, etc.

A more workable solution would be to troubleshoot the slow Internet connection and see if you can do anything on your end to improve the data speeds. If the problem isn't on your end, and if the slow connection is being provided by a different Internet service provider from the fast connection, maybe it's time to change Internet service providers.

#4 ac19189

ac19189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:01 AM

Well I think I knew that in the back of my head I think what I am really attempting to do more than anything is use the other location to load the information such as websites and what not then send that data back to me. My issue so far isnt so much the speed with the internet but rather the limited nod connections the isp i use here has its load times to most websites is almost doubled if not worse because the nods this ISP uses are slow but the connection in the other location has a better ISP so the nods are less backed up. I don't even know if it was a VPN i was looking for.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:41 AM

It might be possible to do that, but it may not be feasible. One thing to consider is the distance between the two locations. Are they in the same building? Across town? In different states? That will determine how and whether you can link them up.

And even if it is possible, there is still the issue of the bandwidth available between your two locations. One location may have faster Internet -- but if the only way you can connect remotely to it is through a slower type of connection, then you won't have increased your data speeds at all.

I again suggest you look at troubleshooting the slow connection, to see if there is anything you can do on your end to fix it.

#6 ac19189

ac19189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:34 PM

Well I couldn't run an ethernet and that would be pointless. As for the connection between both computers there is a stable connection of about 3mbps so it isnt bad I have done testing to make sure the connection is good. Just the ISP I am using the nods connecting to the outside world are crap and extremely cluttered so I have about 300ms per nod most times connecting to the outside world. So in order to get around this I wanted to use my connection from the other location that has a stable fast connection to the outside world to load the requests and then send it back to me. I dont know if I would do that with a VPN or what thats why I posted. I know its possible but I don't know if its a VPN or a proxy I am looking to do but yeah. I am not expecting to get a huge boost in internet speed that isnt how it works but the other location has a better connection to the outside world because the nods are less cluttered.

So in theory as long as the connection between the two locations is good it should help because then I would be going around the cluttered nods. I don't know if you understand what I am saying but I know how it would work I am just not sure if I want a VPN, Proxy, or what. More or less I want to tunnel my connection from this computer through the net to my other computer.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:57 PM

I understand what you're trying to do. From a networking perspective, however, a VPN isn't designed for that. And without knowing more about your configuration at both locations, and how far apart they are, it's hard to suggest a possible solution other than the one I've already suggested. :)

#8 ac19189

ac19189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Two dif states however I can physically access both and have full admin access to both networks. I also have computers at both locations I can connect to. I dont know what kind of information you are looking for....

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

Given the distance between these two sites, I can't say there is a feasible way to do what you are suggesting. Any attempt to log into the computer at the site with the faster uplink would still be constrained by the data speeds of the connection from the site with the slow link. A VPN wouldn't be any faster than a regular Internet connection.

If you want faster data speeds at the site with the slow link, you might want to think about changing ISPs or troubleshooting your connection.

#10 ac19189

ac19189
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 08:57 PM

Maybe you arent understanding what I am attempting to say I understand the connection would not be faster it has to do with nods and dif isp's the nods from my other computer has less trouble loading the websites and stuff I want because the nods it uses to connect to the outside world are lower load times based on nods loading speed the one in the other state for example loads facebook using nods that have a load of less than 100ms the ones with this isp is 500ms it can make the load times long to get around this I simply want to connect to the off site server / computer and use its outgoing internet to load the page then send the loaded information back to this computer I know its possible I just dont know if its a proxy or vpn I need to do this.

I doubt i need to explain any kind of networking to you so you should understand what I am saying I am just wondering what I need to setup to do said thing. I am not a newbie that thinks i can take the internet connection from both places and make my speed faster. It has nothing to do with faster internet my internet will not go faster than what the ISP has set on their side that isnt what I am attempting to bypass I am attempting to bypass this ISP's horrible maintained overloaded nods and use a tunnel to another computer connected to the internet using a dif isp with dif nods to load the information.... I dont know how else to really explain it... o.O If I am getting it wrong please explain.

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

I understand what you are saying. If your router is configurable, you might be able to change your DNS settings. But you are basically stuck with whatever configuration the ISP has set up with the World Wide Web. Remoting into another computer to use the other ISPs connections seems a complicated and roundabout way of trying to get around it -- and again, even if the other ISPs backbone is faster, you won't gain any advantages by remoting into that computer long distance.

The only way around the ISP's crappy nodes is to switch ISP, basically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users