Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Laptop - BSOD - Corrupted File

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

Laptop had crashed with a bsod when playing a game in fullscreen, name of the game doesn't matter, it's a steam game. My laptop had hanged for some odd reason and i prompted to alt tab out and open task manager when it finally crashed, i inferred that a windows startup file had been corrupted (i'm extremely virus cautious and am near 100% certain i don't have a virus) so i decided to start my pc up normally... got to the pc is now loading windows with the logo, does not continue and brings me the bsod after ~5 to 15 minutes. So i started it up again with logging the sys files and the pc is hanging up after supposedly successfully loading "CLASSPNP.SYS"

Full Log (with Kernal Debugger while attempting to startup):

Spoiler

Actually... upon attempting to restart with last known good configuration (successful startup) it pulls an I/O error with other stuff leading me to believe the computer can't contact the HDD correctly, which is also why it's not starting windows. (the pc will NOT startup in any mode including safemode or anything relative, pulls same errors)

Possibly caused by bad wiring on the HDD when laptop was put together and now it had finally parted enough to not be able to connect to the other hardware right?

PS: i've already once tried the default 'restoring' method the computer does, and after ~45min said to try again and see if problem was fixed (it was not) - and no restoring disk for laptop

Edited by QOOOOOOOOQ, 26 June 2013 - 09:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hi

Welcome to the Bleeping Computers forum  :welcome:

Please post the exact make and model of your laptop. Most of them came with a built in self test option to check RAM and HDD. If you can post the model number, i will check if there is a built in test available in that model and post the necessary step to run the test.

An I/O error can also happen due to connectivity issues. So please remove and reinsert the hard disk to eliminate any chance of a possible loose connection.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 27 June 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#3 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

Well a few things... says "Asus G51V" on the back on the black plastic, then "Asus G51 VX" on the white sticker on the black plastic, and right below that says "MB Ver.: G60 VX".

Edit: Oh and i reinserted the hard drive along with spraying it all with air and cleaning it all up, and obviously made sure it was a GOOD fit when i placed it back into the hdd slot it was in, then restarting my pc just said it failed to read disk - had very beginning Asus startup logo, then poof to a black screen saying ctrl + alt + delete to restart pc. Opened up a pc 3/4 times before but never a laptop so im a little familiar.

Edit2: Theres another spot for a secondary hdd in the laptop, idk if the first slot HAS to contain an hdd, and THEN you can have a second if needed, but i just tried to put the hdd into the secondary slot to see if it changed anything, still saying it failed to read disk at all.

Edit3: the capsule the hdd is stored in is IMPOSSIBLE to unscrew open... so i haven't opened it at all currently

Edit4: (lol) friend says my hdd is most likely broken and will need a new one

Edited by QOOOOOOOOQ, 27 June 2013 - 08:49 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hi

Asus laptops doesn't came with a built in self test. So follow the below steps to test your hard drive health.

1 ) Download seatool for dos from the below link.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-dos-master/

2 ) Burn the ISO to a blank CD using an image burning app like Imgburn or ISOrecorder.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/201431en

3 ) Boot from the disk and run a long test with it. If seatool have difficulty in recognizing the HDD, change the SATA mode in BIOS to IDE from AHCI.

seatools-2.png

Report the result in next reply.

#5 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

Thanks, will test first thing tomorrow morning, but i might as well say now that i don't know how to get into bios with my laptop, i've googled etc and no how-to is displayed when laptop starts up + it didnt say much on the googled sites except f8(which gets me into that ->) - the closest i can get is to the black screen, "run in safe mode, start normally, run in safemode with command prompt, start with diagnostics(or whatever it was)", how would i actually get into the bios?

Note: something happened 3x total before this whole thing started - sometimes when loading a webpage it would rarely(3x total in a month) get stuck and freeze my pc for ~20sec untill it could continue loading the webpage, internet is outstanding and highly doubt it was internet... friend says it was probably signs of the HDD acting up

Edited by QOOOOOOOOQ, 28 June 2013 - 01:46 AM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:45 AM

Hi

Generally Asus laptops use F2 to enter BIOS setup. Some models also supports changing the boot order temporarily by  pressing Esc during power on. 

#7 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:04 PM

(model number)(serial number)

started short dst

dst completed without error

short dst passed

long test passed

Edit: Successfully starts up now, but with the "windows could not be loaded/started" black screen, instead of it saying it couldn't read from disk

Edited by QOOOOOOOOQ, 28 June 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#8 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

hello :|

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:54 AM

Hi

Sorry for the late reply. If the HDD is fine then your issue may be related to file system corruption.  

Do you have a Windows installation disc or system repair disc in hand ?. If you don't have one, you can create a system repair disc from any working Windows 7 computer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/203061-create-system-repair-disc.html

Either boot from the system repair CD or install DVD and run a startup repair from it. 

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

You may need to run the startup repair multiple times to allow it to detect and cure the issue.

#10 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

Edit: *sigh* sorry didnt read it correctly the first 3x, doing it now.

- Told it to repair windows 7 the first time, attempted to do it many times like you recommended and it cant find any operating systems now.

Edited by QOOOOOOOOQ, 03 July 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#11 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

sorry, im impatient - my substitute pc is as fast as 95 windows...

#12 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

Hi

Please try the below steps.

A )Run check disk on the OS partition.

Check disk can correct possible NTFS corruptions. To run it from the system repair CD, we need to find the drive letter of the system partition (OS volume which is shown as C inside Windows . Outside of Windows, it may be given another letter depending upon the number of total partitions )

1 ) Boot from the system repair CD or Windows installation DVD. While you are presented with the first screen to install Windows, press shift + F10 to open a command prompt.

960d1229784365t-system-recovery-options-

Alternatively you can open a command prompt from the System recovery options by clicking on the repair button.

963d1234780861t-system-recovery-options-

2 ) Now you need to find your system drive. Depending on how your system is setup, this could be either C: or D:.

1. Type C: and press <ENTER>.
  2. Verify that this is your system drive by typing DIR and pressing <ENTER>. If you see the Program FilesUsers and Windowsfolders, then you have found your system drive, and can continue to the next step.
  3. If the drive is not your system drive, repeat steps I and II above, changing the drive letter to D, E or some other letter until the system drive is located.
    133613d1295703245t-startup-repair-infini

3 ) After identifying the system partition (partition in which Windows and Users folder in it ) , enter the below command to execute check disk.

CHKDSK <drive letter> /R

For example if the OS drive is D, then the command will be CHKDSK D: /R

Wait patiently until it finishes (it may take a long time to complete depending on the size of the volume) 

B ) If you can't locate the system partition (none of them have Windows , Users folders ) , simply run the check disk on all available partitions starting from C.

E ) After the check disk finishes, run startup repair one more time. Also try other system repair options like System restore which restores the system files and registry to a past date.

1059d1229784383t-system-restore-system_r

If you are unable to boot the system even after all the above steps, we don't have any other option than to re-install Windows. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 04 July 2013 - 02:26 AM.

#13 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

When on the picture below step 1, command prompt will not open on any version of [specialkey][f10]

#14 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hi

You can open a command prompt by entering Shift + F10 key combination or open it from the System recovery options window.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-7-recovery-environment-command-prompt/

#15 QOOOOOOOOQ

QOOOOOOOOQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Again, shift + f10 does nothing.

Edit: Actually... i dont even have the option to do startup repair with command prompt, hell even startup repair isnt an option - i just have to do different things and make the pc glitch out for the startup repair screen to even show up. (As in, its not an option from the advanced startup options)

Edited by QOOOOOOOOQ, 04 July 2013 - 01:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users