Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need some help troubleshooting my new build...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DeafHeavn

DeafHeavn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:02 PM

So... My rig is built and won't turn on.  The green light on the MOBO turns on when i flip the PSU switch and that is literally it.  Nothing happens when I hit the power button on my case.  All of the panel wiring is 100% correct, and everything is plugged in correctly (99.99% positive).

So I basically narrowed it down to the PSU, MOBO, case panel, and processor by pulling out/disconnecting everything else (RAM, GPU's, hard drive, optical drive).  Tried to get the BIOS to come up barebones and still nothing.

I read every booklet and piece of paper from front to back and can't figure it out.

Suggestions to pinpoint what the problem is?

BUILD:
CASE: Corsair Carbide 400R
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel i5 3570 Ivy Bridge
PSU: Corsair HX850
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB)
GPU: 2x ATI Radeon HD 5770 (xfired)
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
OPTICAL DRIVE: LG SATA DVD RW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hey, about like mine.

24 pin and 8 pin connected?  Any blinking LEDs on the motherboard (especially by memory)?    Pull the connector block off the switch/led pins and manually short the pwr pins (the pins on the board, not the connector block).  Make sure you have CPU& cooler, 1 stick of RAM, and only 1 video card connected.  Disconnect  HD/SSD and optical drives from power and mobo.

No go?   Pull the mobo out of case, repeat above. Still no go, pull CPU, examine socket pins.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 DeafHeavn

DeafHeavn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

The only light is the green one.  Like I said, I pulled everything except the PSU, MOBO, and Processor (then again with 1 stick of  RAM) to try and at least get the BIOS up and still nothing.  Both connectors are in.

Edited by DeafHeavn, 26 June 2013 - 07:37 PM.

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:47 PM

Mobo out of case?  Verified CPU socket pins ok?  Any action from CPU fan?  Pulled 24 pin and ground green to black on PSU to see if it spins up?  

Edited by dpunisher, 26 June 2013 - 07:49 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 DeafHeavn

DeafHeavn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:51 PM

I took the mobo out - nothing, Nothing from CPU fan during any of my tests.  I'm about to jump the PSU and check the CPU sockets.  I'll post back with results. 

Thanks for your help!

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:56 PM

Wish I had some blinding insight for you.

#7 DeafHeavn

DeafHeavn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

No problem, I'm open to any suggestion you throw my way.  

Alright so the CPU socket looks fine.  When I jump the PSU, the fan goes on for a few seconds then stops.  Is this the problem?  Or is it because the PSU has thermal sensors and wasn't hot enough to stay on?

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

I think the PSU should run as long as the green wire is grounded.  I got some new Corsair PSUs (CX) in and I will ck it.  

#9 DeafHeavn

DeafHeavn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:31 PM

I would appreciate it!

#10 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

CX430- Runs as long as the green is grounded.

Antec 500- same

Yours should keep running as long as that green is grounded to the black next to it.

#11 DeafHeavn

DeafHeavn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

Hmm.  I'll have to borrow a friends PSU and see if that fixes it.  Thanks again!

#12 DeafHeavn

DeafHeavn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

UPDATE:

PSU is fine on my friend's system, and his PSU doesn't run on mine.  So my PSU is ruled out.

Looking like a bad MOBO.

#13 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

Are you double sure the power LED on the bottom of the board is lit when PSU is plugged in/switched on?  Is that BIOS flash button on the backplane stuck down?

Do any other motherboard LEDs come on when the power pins on the motherboard are shorted.  The pins on the motherboard are "momentary contact".

Known good PSU, no power when pwr pins on board shorted, no LED hardware fault codes make me think mobo.  Unusual, but it can happen.

#14 DeafHeavn

DeafHeavn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

I multi-checked all of the above.  No other lights come on when I try shorting the mobo pins.

I am in the process of RMA-ing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users