Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable Bitdefender At Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JerryW

JerryW

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

:thumbsup: I currently have Norton Antivirus and BitDefender 8 Free Edition installed on my system. It is my understanding that two antivirus programs resident in memory would, among other things, at the very least slow down a computer system. So I need to know how to completely disable BitDefender and all it's associated files from loading in memory at boot up. I still want to have it on my hard disk, but as a back up only to be ran about once a month. I'm not having any problems with my CPU usage, it's running at 1% to 5%. But I still would like to disable BitDefender from loading in memory at startup.

My System specs are as follows:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
1.53 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
Board: ECS L7VMM3 3.1
Hard drive 80.00 GB
1024 MB RAM

Edited by JerryW, 16 April 2006 - 09:09 PM.

Jerry L. Winn
"Nothing beats a failure but a try!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:05 PM

First of all - please use the default font and color when you post here.
Making your post difficult to read will tend to make most people bypass your post in favor of one that is easy to read.

To disable your startup entries I recommend that you download Startup Inspector, freeware at the following URL:

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

It is easier to use than the Windows utility - msconfig - and it tells you what ap the startup entry is for, which msconfig does not.

The second ap on that page, Startup Monitor, will prevent programs from being loaded into your startup menu without your approval.

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 April 2006 - 09:05 PM.

#3 JerryW

JerryW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

Making your post difficult to read will tend to make most people bypass your post in favor of one that is easy to read.

To disable your startup entries I recommend that you download Startup Inspector, freeware at the following URL:

It is easier to use than the Windows utility - msconfig - and it tells you what ap the startup entry is for, which msconfig does not.

The second ap on that page, Startup Monitor, will prevent programs from being loaded into your startup menu without your approval.

Enthusiast:
Thanks for the info and link.
Jerry L. Winn

#4 JerryW

JerryW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

Enthusiast:
This Startup Inspector is just what I needed. It worked perfectly! Thanks again for your help.
Jerry L. Winn

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

You are welcome.
Glad it worked for you. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic