Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lubuntu doesn't recognize my external drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:19 PM

Dear Hearts,

Ive just installed the latest Lubuntu os after replacing the hard drive in my laptop,all works perfectly so far but one of my external drives does not mount on insertion,it appears in file manager but fails to mount,although it shows up in the drive manager?

The ext drive is a fairly new wd 120gb NTFS that worked fine in the ubuntu i had installed previously.

Fairly new to Linux(6mths) and Lubuntu(6hrs),im fairly sure the drive is ok although i havnt tried it on another system yet. (the light goes off after about 5 minutes).

Ideas anyone?

thanx in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:59 PM

Open a commandline, plug it in, wait a few seconds (shouldn't take more than 5, but that depends in part on how fast teh macnine is), and type:

dmesg

You should see a device and partion near the end. Something like:

sdb:  sdb1

If you get tha (could be sdc, sdd, etc)t, it's detected. Then it's a matter of mounting it.

I don't recall Lubuntu having automouting turned on. Which is fine by me because I like mounting/umounting when I want them. But I'm not certain how you add it if it's not there because I don't use it. However, there are plenty of other ways to get access to it.

I'm assuming you'd like to be able to mount it as you so you can read and write to it. If that's the case, you'll need to set some things up. Such as a mountpoint, getting the mount information, putting it into fstab and giving rights to the user. I won't go into the steps yet in case that isn't what you're after. If you are, I'll get back to it unless someone beats me to it first.

Awaiting your confimration or other preference.

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:04 PM

Hi, yes to read and write to it,exactly,want to work with the files on the drive...

I see the sdb you mentioned on running the dmesg command (has errors mentioned at the start)?

Could you explain how to mount the drive from command line,no idea why the other drives auto mount nd this

one doesnt?

Thanks for you,re help.

#4 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

You could try these two giudes:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#5 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:36 PM

Cheers,i worked out the not auto mounting Windoehs formatted drives issue by myself in th end (was running Ubuntu before so didnt realise Lubuntu wouldnt act the same but the guides look v helpfull and ill have a good look,so ta very muchly.

Edited by Wolverine 7, 28 June 2013 - 05:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users