Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 9 will not install on 64 bit Win 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

For two or three weeks now I have been trying on and off to update from IE 8 to 9, with no success at all !

My computer is running 64 bit Win7 SP1 and fully updated, and Firefox - my default browser - is working perfectly, as for that matter is IE 8. I just cannot do the update and it is beginning to annoy me.

If I try the update through 'Windows Updater' I get the error message 'Update failed, unknown error, Code 80092004', and then it left me a link to the MS trouble shooting web-site on my desktop.

I have followed this link. The first step on the help page is to check mininum requirements - my computer meets them. The next step is trying again through 'Windows updater', this fails. Then the next step is to download the installer from the IE 9 web-site, which I have done. The file name I have is : IE9-Windows7-x64-enu.exe . When I run this it sometimes starts then just provides a message 'Installation failed' and sometimes it has reached a box which says certain applications, mostly security ones, need to be stopped. Whether I choose to close these manually or let the installer do it makes no difference - 'Installatioin failed' again.

The final step I have tried is to manually install 'The pre-requisite components'. When I run this I get the message 'This update is not applicable'.

Anybody got any ideas ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hi Chris,

In IE 8, go to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset (lower right corner). On the new window that opens, click Reset (there is no need to delete personal settings). Once it is done it will instruct you to close and reopen IE. After doing this you will be able to update to IE 9 with no problem. I installed it manually, not sure if it will work through Windows Update or not.

Hope this resolves your issue

Regards...........sik

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:06 PM

If what the other poster suggested does not help, you might try creating a new admin account and trying the upgrade from there. It may not help, but then again, it might.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Thanks Sikntired - This time it went all the way through the installation process, including stopping applications, then said 'Installation failed' !  I'm thinking of copying your user name !

It's coming up on my bedtime, I'll try running the installer as administrator tomorrow and report.

Chris C

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

Have you tried installing it in Safe Mode with Networking?

If no luck I would run SFC and see what the CBS.Log says. By chance have you ran MrFixit utility from MS? 

LOL on the User Name BTW!!   

()

Fix the problem when Windows Update is not working

Download Internet Explorer 9

Edited by sikntired, 27 June 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for those suggestions Sik, running as Administrator made no difference. I was home late on Thursday, and have had a BT engineer crawling all over my line today - hence no connection except to a signal generator half way down my stairs where the line enters the house. Happily, I now have a silent - ie non-crackly - telephone line and my internet connection is vastly improved. It's only taken two years of arguing !

I have the IE 9 installer sitting in my 'Software downloads' folder, and a link to that page of the MS site on my desktop, curtesy of the insatllation failure, but I will try it in safe mode if I can make the time. Tomorrow is difficult !  My wife wants an early lunch, I've promised to go and look at an Apple belonging to a friend, and I want to be back in the house for 1100 to catch the start of the Tour de France. for the next three weeks, computing takes back seat to cycling !

But I promise, I will give Safe Mode a go,

Regards,

Chris C

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,021 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

Understood ............... enjoy!!!!!!

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

Ah well, Safe mode didn't work and neither did another suggestion I picked up some where else, to run the installer from the desktop in Safe  mode. Thanks for all the suggestions. As I said in my original post IE is not my primary browser but I run a couple of small web-sites and it is useful for checking that they appear the way you want them to in a different browser - they don't always !

I will admit to being baffled by this one, with one or two exceptions, every other Windows update has installed without any problem at all.  I'll keep at it when I have more time to spare.

Thanks to all,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users