Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seemingly random connection dropouts.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ultymoo

Ultymoo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

Heyos,

So I'm one of those people who've recently stumbled upon the world of streaming content. More specifically, I've been streaming video games to Twitch.tv. In the past year, I've dealt with a few connection-related issues on my Verizon FiOS connection, such as having a faulty coax cable causing incredible data loss. Recently, in an effort to curb an ongoing problem, I've switched the Actiontec MI424-WR router from using a coaxial WAN connection from the ONT in my garage to using one over Ethernet. It's helped with the problem a bit, but maybe I should state what the issue actually is.

During my streams, I generally have a Skype call going with two to seven people from America and Europe. They stay fairly stable, until I suddenly hear the bitrate on the call dropping as it fills with static, people become muffled, and the conversation begins to break down into unintelligible bits of words. Sometimes it comes right back, and the audio takes a minute or two to clear up. Other times it actually drops the call completely, as well as the stream, and my connection icon on the taskbar will actually show me as disconnected for a brief period of time. Now, I mentioned the switch from Coax to Ethernet as I found suggested by people who've had similar issues, and that has shortened the time that these dropouts last (previously what could be multiple minutes are now 10 seconds to a minute). I've also tried a few different Cat-5 cables to make sure one hasn't been damaged and such, but the drops still happen on each. As for when the connection seems to go, it's random. Some evenings I can stream for the entire night unimpeded, while others I can stream for two hours, have it go down, it'll come up for two minutes, go back down, be up for another thirty, go down, back up for fifteen, down again, and then stable for another two hours. So far there doesn't seem to be a discernable pattern or time of day for it, as I've done streams on weekend mornings too.

Anyway, I'll spill what info I can here... I stream and call from an Asus G73J (Motherboard noted as J73JH) laptop over a built-in wireless-N connection. The FiOS connection speed is 150 Megs Down, 65 Up. I've run both an Avast! virus scan recently as well as an MBAM scan, and both have come up negative on any pollutants that might be hijacking my connection. I have two other roommates on Wireless-N as well, however, the pattern still holds. I can stream fine at times when they're both home, and there's days where they're both there and it goes to hell. Same with times when they're gone.

I have also verified that when I get connection drops, other devices and computers seem to get it too (I believe this includes hardwired, though it was last year when I last tried anything hardwired on stream), as if the entire network is being affected. I haven't seen anything overly suspicious in the router logs, though all three of our computers are giving Event ID Error 1014 related to DNS stuff. That seems to be completely unrelated to the disconnections though (but I won't rule it out).

So, ask me to run things or post various logs if you need more information, but I'd love advice, similar experiences, perhaps some network monitoring software that might shed some light on what's going through the tubes when the drops actually happen or something. I dunno. I've been battling it for over a year, and just remembered this place existed.

Thanks,

-Ulty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have also verified that when I get connection drops, other devices and computers seem to get it too (I believe this includes hardwired, though it was last year when I last tried anything hardwired on stream), as if the entire network is being affected. I haven't seen anything overly suspicious in the router logs, though all three of our computers are giving Event ID Error 1014 related to DNS stuff. That seems to be completely unrelated to the disconnections though (but I won't rule it out).

The part in red leads me to the first suggestion. Try hooking up a computer by a wired connection and see if the same thing happens to it...ideally while also still using other devices by wireless. Thus, you can see if the ethernet connected device stays up and running when the wireless devices go down.

Overall, I seem the follow possible culprits:
  • There is an issue with your overall connection. This can be checked by calling Verizon (you will probably have more fun hitting yourself with a hammer ;) ). This might also be checked by trying the hardwire ethernet connection on a computer...if an ethernet connection works fine, then that tends to suggest that the Verizon connection is fine.
  • There is an issue with your ONT. This is very similar to the first one...Verizon will likely need to check/test it...but the wired connection test will kind of test this.
  • There is an issue with your router. If both wired and wireless have the same issue, then it could be some overall issue with the router. If wired works, but wireless has the issue, then maybe there is an issue with the wireless portion of the router and getting a second router/access point that connects to the first by a wired connection might solve the problem. I assume the router is provided by Verizon...if so, then you could try getting a replacement from them.
  • There is some sort of random interference messing with your WiFi. If a wired connection works, then this might be the case. You could try forcing the router to a different channel. If the wired connection does not work (i.e. same thing happens over wired and wireless), then this is not it.

So, doing a test with a wired connection can help to start narrowing it down some.

#3 Ultymoo

Ultymoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:40 PM

All right, I'll narrow one or two of those down first.

1: I thought of this, but last time I called them for the switch from Coax to Ethernet, I lost two hours of my life. That hammer sounds much more appealing. In reality though, I'll call them if I can't find the issue. I'm working on running a cable from the hall to my bedroom this weekend.

2: Thought of this as well, wouldn't surprise me if it was faulty.

3: I'd tend to agree with how shoddy Actiontecs are, but I had the router replaced... Three months ago? Maybe four? It does the exact same thing.

4: Possible, but I've tried that to no avail. The only wireless things we use are cell phones (pretty rarely) and the controller for my Wii U or roomie's Wii/360, but the drops happen regardless of those being on.

Anyway, I read the locked topic today and will answer the two things I haven't included in the topic. First, each computer is ten feet from the router at max. Mine is probably the farthest, but there's not much of a wall in the way.

The second is that I'm attaching that Toolbox log. I'll let you know how the hardwiring goes when I get it done, but I'll check back here tomorrow anyway. Thanks for the suggestions!

Attached Files

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

I lost two hours of my life. That hammer sounds much more appealing.

:grinner:

Ain't calling support fun! ;)

Edited by smax013, 27 June 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

All right, I'll narrow one or two of those down first.

1: I thought of this, but last time I called them for the switch from Coax to Ethernet, I lost two hours of my life. That hammer sounds much more appealing. In reality though, I'll call them if I can't find the issue. I'm working on running a cable from the hall to my bedroom this weekend.
2: Thought of this as well, wouldn't surprise me if it was faulty.
3: I'd tend to agree with how shoddy Actiontecs are, but I had the router replaced... Three months ago? Maybe four? It does the exact same thing.
4: Possible, but I've tried that to no avail. The only wireless things we use are cell phones (pretty rarely) and the controller for my Wii U or roomie's Wii/360, but the drops happen regardless of those being on.

Anyway, I read the locked topic today and will answer the two things I haven't included in the topic. First, each computer is ten feet from the router at max. Mine is probably the farthest, but there's not much of a wall in the way.

The second is that I'm attaching that Toolbox log. I'll let you know how the hardwiring goes when I get it done, but I'll check back here tomorrow anyway. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sounds like you have somewhat already ruled out the router being the problem since you already had it replaced one...unless you got a second bad router, which while not impossible, is not likely.

The possible thing to try if it is seeming like it might be some sort of WiFi interference (i.e. if the wired connection works fine when you test it) is to get a second router/access point...in particular an 802.11n dual band router/access point so that you can try using the 5 GHz range. It appears that the Actiontec MI424-WR that you have is only a 2.4 GHz WiFi router (at least from what I can find with a Google search). If so and if interference is the issue, then using a 5 GHz router might solve the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users