Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening pptx files with office 2003 - file name changes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guybrush3pwood

Guybrush3pwood

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:26 PM

We have a windows XP VM with office 2003. It appears to have the conversion patch so it can open PPTX files. However, for some reason, when we open them, they take quite a while to open, and then the name on them changes. For instance, a powerpoint called “Slides.PPTX”, when opened the name changes to “PPTX0000089.PPTX”.

Anyone have any idea why this happens and what we can do to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

This is a known issue when opening pptx in Office 2003 with the conversion patch installed. There does not appear to be a workable known fix for it, however. http://www.powerpoint-answers.com/microsoft/PowerPoint/29552844/file-name-changes-when-opening-office-2007-files-in-office-2003.aspx

Microsoft does recommend that you continue to download and install Windows and Office updates, although it's not clear if that will fix the issue or not.

Edited by sflatechguy, 27 June 2013 - 08:33 PM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

This is a known issue when opening pptx in Office 2003 with the conversion patch installed. There does not appear to be a workable known fix for it, however. http://www.powerpoint-answers.com/microsoft/PowerPoint/29552844/file-name-changes-when-opening-office-2007-files-in-office-2003.aspx

Microsoft does recommend that you continue to download and install Windows and Office updates, although it's not clear if that will fix the issue or not.

I want to say that I remember the same thing happening way back when I was using Office 2003 (and I believe Office 2002/XP) with the XML converter for Office, but it has been a while and I have been using versions with "native" support of the format for a while now.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yep. Issue first cropped up when Microsoft starting integrating XML into Office files -- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. -- and people had to install converters to open files saved in other formats.

I believe the only way to solve the issue is to convert the pptx files to ppt, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

Yep. Issue first cropped up when Microsoft starting integrating XML into Office files -- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. -- and people had to install converters to open files saved in other formats.
I believe the only way to solve the issue is to convert the pptx files to ppt, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

It makes sense. Many "converters" are acting like "import functions"...i.e. they import the file into a new document.

#6 Guybrush3pwood

Guybrush3pwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

I had a feeling this was the case. Thanks guys, I'll stop chasing my tail now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users