Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winrar, Rar,far

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

I don't really understand how to use these and how they work. Do they auto download everything. I loked at the list of files and it appears 80% of it is gibberish. A tutorial and/ or explanation would be appreciated.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:45 PM

Winrar is a program used to unpack files that have been compressed into various formats. Officially it is described as an archiver. Are you maybe talking about a program with a similar name? The Winrar that I am familiar with does not download anything.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for the reply

http://www.rarlab.com/

It's the one from that link

My daughter put it on my family PC. Perhaps downloading was the wrong term. She said it makes it easier to mail pix. I just don't understand how to use it. There is a long list of files. Her pix another stuff. Some files when I click OPEN are in computer languge. What caught my eye were some of the gif files were to a site I recently visited. Page info stuff, banner etc. I didn't open or execute anything to put info into WinRAR. Again I don't undersstand the workings. It is now a fairly large set of files most of which appear to be junk. so my other question is can I safely delete all this stuff?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 04:06 PM

That's Winrar, and it is merely an archiver. When she says it makes it easier to email pictures, it is because it will put them all together in a bundle and compress them. Once they are made smaller, they can be more easily transported over the Internet. They can also be pasword protected to keep people from opening the complresed files.

In all liklihood, when you open the application, it is looking at the directory containing the browser temp files. That would be why you see files with weird names, plus images of sites recently visited. Open IE and flush the cache, and then see if those files are still there.

It is nothing to worry about. What is the OS you are running? If you have XP. it has a zip capability built right in, and there is no need to even have winrar, unless someone needs to open .rar. files, which are not as common.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:38 PM

Much appreciated,groovicus. I understand the principle and process. Yes btw I use XP Pro. My son also need to get it to open some thing. So I just clear the casche and it and just leave it if they ever need it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users