Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade or buy a new one?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 flyswatter888

flyswatter888

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hello, before I get started just thought I should mention I'm not that great with computers. I can figure most stuff out if I watch a video or read something, but I may not know some terms. So with that out of the way....... Ok. I want to ditch my xbox and only play games on PC. The reasons aren't too important. Right now I have a few year old HP Pavilion. It has an I3 540 processor. I don't know how to tell if the GPU is integrated or not, or how to tell what it is if it is not. I was wondering if I should buy a new motherboard, graphics card, and whatever else I may need (if you guys tell me i need more), or if I should just go on New egg and buy a whole new computer. I'm not sure if it is too important to mention or not, but I am in South Korea right now in the military, so I will have to buy everything online. Not sure if shipping a whole computer overseas is that safe. 

But anyways I'm not looking for something top of the line best in class. I'm just tired of playing a game on minimum graphics settings and still lagging around. Also, not sure if it is important or not, just trying to give as much information as I can, I also use my computer for general Internet surfing and Skype for back home. But I Figure if it can handle games it can handle surfing. 

So just looking for what you would do in my shoes. Buy a whole new computer or just upgrade, and if you don't mind... What would you upgrade to or what would you buy. 

Thanks a lot. Let me know if you would like more information about my current computer. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 flyswatter888

flyswatter888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

This is what I think I'm going to do.... buy this CPU 

Intel Core i5-2310 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52310

and install it on my current motherboard, and then buy this video card  

PowerColor AX7870 2GBD5-2DHV2 Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card.

according to this website http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c02218264#N190

both of those should be compatible with my current motherboard. I'm still wondering if anyone thinks this is a good idea or not. Or if it matters that the video card is gddr5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users