Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Screen Randomly Goes Black

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wheat=believer

wheat=believer

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:57 AM

Starting two days ago from this post, my computer did not turn on after several attempts.  After waiting a few hours, it turned on, but while I was on it  for about two hours, the screen randomly went black. I touched the mouse pad, pressed buttons, and nothing happened. I had music playing on spotify, and it never stopped playing. The  computer did not shut off until I shut it off. Back in Sept. 2012, my computer would randomly shut off. I thought it was overheating because the fan would start spinning really fast. I got my fan cleaned thinking this occurred because dust was on the fan, but the problem continued. This wouldn't happen everyday, but it did happen often. It hasn't occurred in about 4 months, though. I was thinking that some software drivers needed to be updated. Whenever the HP PC check runs and shows me what needs to be updated, I attempt to update these things, but they mostly fail to update. I've had success updating drivers for my printer, but not for the BIOS. I'm using a HP Pavilion dv6636nr. I've had it since 2007. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:30 AM

When the computer did not turn on, what do you mean by that? Was there no sounds of it turning on at all (i.e. no fans came on, no sounds of drives spinning up or the optical drive being "checked", etc)? Or did it sound like it turned on, but you got nothing to display on the screen?

If it was the latter, then it could either be an issue with the built-in screen or the graphics chipset.

If it is the former, then while there could still be an issue with the screen or graphics, it could be something else or more.

#3 saraomran

saraomran

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:50 AM

This same kind of problem happened to me too a few months ago. My screen went blank and nothing seemed to work. The sound of the fan stopped too. When I took this issue to my computer operator, he told me that was some problem with the graphics card. Have you shown it to someone professional?

#4 cee134

cee134

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:51 PM

What kind of Monitor do you have?

What kind of Graphics card do you have?

Just to start, try these:

1. Make sure all drivers are up to date with your graphics card. 
  2. Make sure you don't have any loose connections with your monitor cords (power and computer), [this happened with a monitor I used, it seemed plugged in but when I jiggled it the picture came back but I had to hold it in the right position.]
  3. You can sub out different monitor and see if that works to see if it's the monitor your using. 
  4. Make sure your refresh rate and display rate are set correctly (and set correctly to the program your using, some older games don't like new settings, but that's rare now)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users