Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why can't I download anything?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 noodles123

noodles123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

Hi everyone.

I can't seem to download anything. This problem only started today. I tried to install Truecrypt but when I hit the download button nothing happens except my mouse pointer does the loading circle thingy for ages. It does this on both Chrome and Firefox browsers. I also tried to download the latest adobe flash player on my firefox browser but again nothing happens when I hit the download button. No dialogue boxes or download windows appear.

As I said I have both Chrome a Firefox browsers and have the same problem on both.

Yesterday I found out my browsers were being hijacked by malware from Yontoo, searchcq, searchqu etc.

I downloaded these programs to deal with it-

Malwarebytes (free version)

Spybot search and destroy (free version)

adwcleaner (free)

HitmanPro (free version)

Malwarebytes returned 2 trojans which it removed. HitmanPro found and got rid of all other malware I mentioned so my browsers and computer is working fine except the download issue. Subsequent scans with these tools have come back clean.

I'm using windows 7, 64 bit

I have Norton internet security

I have a few add-ons running for both browsers but I don't see how they could be blocking my downloads.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:26 PM

Have you tried running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode ?  There may be malware still in your computer. Press 'F8' a couple of times during the BIOS screen immediately at start up, then choose 'Safe Mode with Networking'. Then run Malwarebytes. If this comes up clean in Safe Mode, you probably are.

Then I would check your settings in Norton. I used it once a few years ago and abandoned it because it wanted to run my computer its way, not my way. It is possible that it has gone into an over-protective mode.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 noodles123

noodles123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hi Chris

Thanks a lot. I did manage to download those things in the end. I had to use a direct link or something on adobe because it still wouldn't initialize. I think you're right about Norton, it was one of my suspicions but my primary one was all that Malware I found the other day. I ran Malwarebytes in safe mode just like you said and it returned clean so I'm happy with that. Now I just have to figure out what's up with Norton but I'll work it out.

Just out of interest, which antivirus would you recommend?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

Glad you got your downloads in the end.

I use Avast Free anti-virus and it works for me but there are a number of other well thought off products out there. Take a look around these forums and see what other people think of them. I know there are some who swear by Microsoft's Security Essentials and the AVG product seems fairly well thought of. I also run Super Anti-Spyware and Malwarebytes - I update them and run a quick scan normally about once a week. However, internet security is as much a matter of common sense as anything else - not opening attachments unless you are certain you know who they have come from, not clicking links in e-mails again if you are not certain where they came from, that sort of thing.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 noodles123

noodles123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

Thanks mate! I'll check out those programs. I think I downloaded the searchqu browser hijacker when I downloaded a video downloader. It came pckaged with it. I wasn't paying attention when I downloaded it. That was ages ago though and I thought I'd got rid of it the first time. Seems it had been lurking somewhere on my computer for a while. I'm pretty sure it's gone now though. People be warned!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users