Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer sluggish at start-up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

I find that my computer is sluggish at start-up, as well as a little at run-time.  I have a dell 15 laptop.  6gb ram, i5 processor.  I am constantly wiping it, but it never seems to fix the issue.  I am thinking it is more of a software/hardware problem.  I have minimized the start-up programs.  I use superantispyware, malwarebytes (pro), and avast!.  I constantly run scans between all of them, and they never seem to find anything, besides tracking cookies.  I would like to rule out some stuff to find what is preventing the computer from running normally.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Slowness, freezing and performance issues as you describe are not uncommon, especially with older computers. If you're not finding any malware, please refer to this guide: Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware.

There are various reasons for slowness and poor performance besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, too many browser Add-ons/toolbars, failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As you use your system it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down and behave oddly so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

what do you define as an older computer?  my processor is gen2 intel.  i run most of these utilities weekly.  i do not have any toolbars installed.  i have 6gb of ram.  the only concern would be add-ons/extensions, and the hardware that is dirty.  I don't do a lot of sitting around in one place with my laptop, and it looks clean (no visible dirt/dust) from the outside.  I find that I install a lot of programs.  my firefox can get slow.  i notice it takes up more ram, and that is why i have always prefered chrome, although i find it crashes several times a day, even after installation, usually after waking up from sleep.  i find that I wipe my laptop every few months to increase the speed.  is that normal?

how do I set the firefox remember history days?  i think that the format has changed.  i don't see the option anymore.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:21 PM

In your first post you advised using SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes (Pro) and avast!. SUPERAntiSpyware Free does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. However, when installing SUPERAntiSpyware it installs to run at each start-up automatically. I recommend to disable its' startup and use it as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner.

what do you define as an older computer?

That definition will vary from one's personal opinion to another. If the OS has been updated, then I would consider the computer old but that does not mean its unusable anymore. I still have an XP system that works fine. By older I was meaning a computer that has been used a lot, many programs are installed/removed routinely...they have a natural tendency to slow down. That does not appear to be your situation though if you're wiping your hard drive clean every few months. What brand (make) computer are you using?

i find that I wipe my laptop every few months to increase the speed. is that normal?

Not in my opinion but I know folks who routinely do that. My XP system is almost 8 years old and I've never had to wipe it clean.

i find it crashes several times a day, even after installation, usually after waking up from sleep

A lot of folks complain about this. Have you tried changing the power settings?

how do I set the firefox remember history days? i think that the format has changed. i don't see the option anymore.

Open Firefox, go to Tools > Options > Privacy Tab and there is a History setting for FF to Remember history, Never remember history and Use custom settings for history. I believe FF did away with the remember history days many versions ago. There is an Expire history by days add-on but I'm not sure if it works with the current version.

my firefox can get slow. i notice it takes up more ram, and that is why i have always prefered chrome

Optimizing FireFox:Note: Firefox will generally take longer than IE to start simply because it has more data to load. Also, due to the way Firefox caches pages it will use more RAM the longer the browser is open. Closing and restarting more often will clear that out and should lower your resource usage dramatically.

By default Firefox checks for three different updates (Firefox updates, Use a background service to install updates, and Search Engines) when launching the program. Try turning off updates. Go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Updated tab and uncheck "Automatically check for updates to Firefox", then click Ok.

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

it's a dell.

when i said it crashes after waking up, i meant that google chrome does.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,934 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:38 PM