Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two computers - different speeds

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JayDPiii

JayDPiii

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hi;

I have two computers, both Windows 7 OS.

One is an older desktop and the other is my work laptop.

Both are in my home office, and connected (CAT5e) to the same router. 

My cable company lists my rated (wired) download speed at 50Mbs.

My laptop on the speedtest.comcast.net website, when connected by CAT5e shows a

download speed of between 60-90 Mbs (and often 100 plus).

While my desktop computer under the same conditions is only showing a download speed of 25-40 Mbs. 

Would the difference be the network card/motherboard in the older desktop computer,

slowing its download speed? 

P.S>  I did switch out the CAT5e cable to my older desktop computer to eliminate a possibly damaged CAT5e cable as the source of the problem.  

Same result: speedtest.comcast.net website shows a download speed of between 25-40 Mbs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:34 PM

Hi;
I have two computers, both Windows 7 OS.
One is an older desktop and the other is my work laptop.
Both are in my home office, and connected (CAT5e) to the same router. 
My cable company lists my rated (wired) download speed at 50Mbs.
My laptop on the speedtest.comcast.net website, when connected by CAT5e shows a
download speed of between 60-90 Mbs (and often 100 plus).
While my desktop computer under the same conditions is only showing a download speed of 25-40 Mbs. 
Would the difference be the network card/motherboard in the older desktop computer,
slowing its download speed? 
P.S>  I did switch out the CAT5e cable to my older desktop computer to eliminate a possibly damaged CAT5e cable as the source of the problem.  
Same result: speedtest.comcast.net website shows a download speed of between 25-40 Mbs.

My guess is that the laptop has a Gigabit Ethernet port (i.e. maximum theoretical "speed" of 1000 Mbps although in reality you cannot get anywhere near that) while the older desktop likely has a Fast Ethernet port (i.e. maximum theoretical "speed" of 100 Mbps although in reality you cannot get anywhere near that).

That may not explain all of it, but I am certainly guessing that it explains most of it.

Beyond that, other more "mundane" technical differences between the computer (i.e. differences in hard drive speeds, processors, etc) can also impact things.

#3 JayDPiii

JayDPiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thx.

Anyway to tell about the Ethernet Ports?

I tried Belarc Advisor - but didn't really see it identify the Ethernet ports capability. 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thx.
Anyway to tell about the Ethernet Ports?
I tried Belarc Advisor - but didn't really see it identify the Ethernet ports capability.

At most, Belarc Advisor might tell your the brand/model/chipset of the ethernet NIC. From there, you might be able to do a Google search to find out what kind of ethernet port it has.

The other option is to look up the specs of the computers. What brand & model are the computers?

#5 JayDPiii

JayDPiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:41 PM

The work laptop is a Lenovo W520 and the desktop was a custom built which has had each part replaced more than several times over the past nearly 20 years. 

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 2/23/2013 9:48:33 AM   Enclosure Type: Desktop Processor a   Main Circuit Board b 3.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X2 255
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded   Board: NF725M-P43 (MS-7597) 2.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V10.1 02/14/2011 Drives   Memory Modules c,d 397.07 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
127.24 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H44L ATA Device [Optical drive]

HDS72808 0PLAT20 USB Device [Hard drive] (82.34 GB) -- drive 2
Seagate FreeAgent Go USB Device [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 3, s/n 5MA5VTBN
WDC WD80 0JD-55MUA1 SCSI Disk Device (80.02 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WMAMD4977393, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD800JB-00FMA0 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAJ97015234, rev 13.03G13, SMART Status: Healthy   2816 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB (serial number SerNum00)
Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB (serial number SerNum01)   Local Drive Volumes             c: (NTFS on drive 0) * 80.02 GB 35.92 GB free     e: (NTFS on drive 3) 160.04 GB 7.25 GB free     f: (NTFS on drive 2) 82.34 GB 46.93 GB free     x: (NTFS on drive 1) 74.66 GB 37.14 GB free    
* Operating System is installed on c:   Network Drives   None discovered

Edited by JayDPiii, 26 June 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

The work laptop is a Lenovo W520 and the desktop was a custom built which has had each part replaced more than several times over the past nearly 20 years.

You can certainly get a Gigibit ethernet port on the W520:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=PD015362#comm

And considering you said you got download speeds of greater than 100 Mbps on the laptop at times, it HAS to have a Gigibit port. While you are generally lucky to get above 90 Mbps on a "Fast Ethernet" port, you definitely cannot go more than 100 Mbps on a "Fast Ethernet" port.

It it is pretty much a definite that you have Gigabit on the laptop.

For the desktop, do you know the model & brand of the motherboard in the desktop? Belarc Advisor might provide that if you don't know. If you do, we can likely look up the specs.

The other thing is that I believe Windows will automatically detect and list was the connection is...i.e. whether it is 10/100 (i.e. Fast Ethernet) or 10/100/1000 (i.e. Gigabit). To look this up, right click the little network connection icon in the taskbar (looks like a computer monitor with a plug/cord on the left side). This will give you a pop-list...choose "Open Network and Sharing Center". This will open a window that shows a basic schematic of your network. In the middle-ish area, there will be a thing that says "Access Type" and "Connections". Next to "Connection" should be a clickable "Local Area Connection" link. Click it. This will open a Local Area Connection Status window. There should be a "Speed:" section. It should list the maximum possible theoretical speed. For example, on my Windows desktop (that I built myself), it lists 1.0 Gbps since I have a Gigabit port on my motherboard.

#7 JayDPiii

JayDPiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

It it is pretty much a definite that you have Gigabit on the laptop.

The other thing is that I believe Windows will automatically detect and list was the connection is...i.e. whether it is 10/100 (i.e. Fast Ethernet) or 10/100/1000 (i.e. Gigabit). To look this up, right click the little network connection icon in the taskbar (looks like a computer monitor with a plug/cord on the left side). This will give you a pop-list...choose "Open Network and Sharing Center". This will open a window that shows a basic schematic of your network. In the middle-ish area, there will be a thing that says "Access Type" and "Connections". Next to "Connection" should be a clickable "Local Area Connection" link. Click it. This will open a Local Area Connection Status window. There should be a "Speed:" section. It should list the maximum possible theoretical speed. For example, on my Windows desktop (that I built myself), it lists 1.0 Gbps since I have a Gigabit port on my motherboard.

Desktop: Speed: 1.0Gbps

#8 JayDPiii

JayDPiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

P.S.

IPv4 Connectivity: Internet 

IPv6 Connectvity: No INternet Access

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:29 PM

Board: NF725M-P43 (MS-7597) 2.0

Based upon this, it would appear that these are the specs for your motherboard:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/NF725GM-P43.html#/?div=Basic

Desktop: Speed: 1.0Gbps

Based upon the above, it does appear you have Gigabit on the desktop as well.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:31 PM

So, at this point, it appears both computers are using Gigabit.

So, that suggests that either other hardware factors are creating the difference or maybe there is something software related on the desktop that is causing a slower connection.

To maybe rule out the latter, you might try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and then run Speedtest and see if there is any change.

#11 JayDPiii

JayDPiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Safe Mode with Networking = same result 25-40 Mbps. 
Back to normal mode, used my Advanced System Care Pro and set it to Turbo Mode ON.

SpeedTest Results = 65 - 70 Mbps.

SpeedTest Results in Safe Mode with networking in Turbo Mode = 65-70 Mbps.

A big improvement. 

(Though my work laptop within the same time frame = 148 Mbps.) 

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

Safe Mode with Networking = same result 25-40 Mbps. 
Back to normal mode, used my Advanced System Care Pro and set it to Turbo Mode ON.
SpeedTest Results = 65 - 70 Mbps.
SpeedTest Results in Safe Mode with networking in Turbo Mode = 65-70 Mbps.
A big improvement. 
(Though my work laptop within the same time frame = 148 Mbps.)

At this point, it is likely just other hardware differences (i.e. hard drive speed, CPU, etc). I cannot see why there would be that much of difference, however.

The only other thing is that maybe there is something installed on the desktop that is slowing down the connection...could be some innocent program that just conflicts or has a bug or maybe even some malware (although usually malware if it borks your Internet connection, I believe it is typically much more "severe").

Are you running different security/anti-virus software on the two machines? If you are running a security suite with a firewall, it is possible that it might be messing with the connection.

Any other major difference in terms of software you are running on the two machines?

You may want to consider posting in the "Am I Infected?" forum. I don't really believe the desktop is infected, but it won't hurt anything to post there and see.

#13 JayDPiii

JayDPiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

OK, you have been a big help.

I am at least getting the rated download of 50 Mbps.

And one other thing, on all computers, even wireless,

the upload has been constant at between 11 and 12 Mbps. 

I mainly use my work laptop during the day,

and another wireless connected ASUS laptop in the evening for e-mail and web browsing.

So, I think I will leave it, Thx.  

I use the desktop mostly as a storage with two external USB connected hard drives for back-up. 

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Back to normal mode, used my Advanced System Care Pro and set it to Turbo Mode ON

Most experts here would agree that System Care Utilities and functions is not advisable to be used for automated performance boost.

Tekken

#15 JayDPiii

JayDPiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Understood, but not helpful if you don't then offer a solution ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users