Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast malicious url blocked

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 D0244

D0244

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:01 AM

Ok, so, I keep getting this messages from, avast about some, Malicious url blocked. 

I'm not really good on fixing computer or stuff like that, but I searched on google, and I read something telling me, to go on safe mode and run Malwarebytes and then the antivirus itself. 
I did, but as soon as I rebooted, the message comeback.
Some help would be very appreciated. 

Note. I really don't understand much or at all about fixing computers, so if you could be very specific about things I have to do, it would be very helpful.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eat_Babies

Eat_Babies

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:44 AM

Might as well remove avast and download MS Security Essentials.

Edited by Eat_Babies, 26 June 2013 - 01:47 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

avast! Web Shield acts as a transparent HTTP proxy which will monitor and intercept all outgoing connections from the HTTP proxy application. Web Shield monitors your Internet activity, scans incoming data for malware and blocks URLs of known dangerous sites before your browser loads or connects in order to prevent risk of infection from these sites. A malicious URL warning will usually interrupt you one time and then go away. If avast continually displays the same warning or provides an alert when not surfing the net, then your system may already be compromised and you will need to began checking for malware infection. Web Shield is compatible with major web browsers like Internet Explorer, FireFox and Opera.

If you are using peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs (i.e. Limewire, eMule, Kontiki, BitTorrent, uTorrent, BitLord, BitLord, BearShare, Azureus/Vuze, etc) or an Instant messaging (IM) client, be aware they can trigger Malicious url blocked alerts. Why? P2P programs are a security risk which can make your system susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections and remote attacks. Web Shield may block access to some of the peers a P2P client attempts connection to because they are classified or detected as malicious. Even the safest P2P file sharing programs that do not contain bundled spyware, still expose you to risks because of the very nature of the P2P file sharing process. By default, most P2P file sharing programs are configured to automatically launch at startup and to allow other P2P users on the same network open access to a shared directory on your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 D0244

D0244
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:00 PM

First, Thanks for the reply, But here is the thing, It does not happen when i'm entering a site, but out of nothing, it's sort of like no one is even using the PC just reading something without entering a site, and it pops up.

Then as I noted on the post, I have no idea how to monitor my Internet activity and block URL of known dangerous sites.
I'll google that but, I have no idea what I'll be doing.
And, just to let u know I'm using  Chrome, and I'm very cautious with sites that I enter and stuff like that.

Thanks a lot guys.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,918 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Are you using any P2P programs? Some P2P clients attempt to make a connection without you even knowing its doing so. In your first post you advised running your scans in safe mode.

Safe Mode is a troubleshooting mode designed to start Windows with minimal drivers and running processes to diagnose problems with your computer. This means some of the programs that normally start when Windows starts will not run.

Why use safe mode? The Windows operating system protects files when they are being accessed by an application or a program. Malware writers create programs that can insert itself and hide in these protected areas when the files are being used. Using safe mode reduces the number of modules requesting files to only essentials which make your computer functional. This in turn reduces the number of hiding places for malware, making it easier to find and delete the offending files when performing scans with anti-virus and anti-malware tools. In many cases, performing your scans in safe mode speeds up the scanning process.

Why not use safe mode? Some security tools like anti-rootkit scanners (ARKs) and programs with anti-rootkit technology use special drivers which are required for the scanning and removal process. These tools are designed to work in normal mode because the drivers will not load in safe mode which lessens the scan's effectiveness. Other security tools are optimized to run from normal mode where they are most effective. For example, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is designed to be at full power when malware is running so safe mode is not necessary when using it. In fact, Malwarebytes loses some effectiveness for detection and removal when used in safe mode. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so it does not limit the abilities of Malwarebytes.

Scanning in safe mode prevents some types of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection process. If the malware is not related to a running process (i.e. malicious .dll) it probably will not make a difference performing a scan in normal or safe mode. A hidden piece of malware such as a rootkit which protects other malicious files and registry keys from deletion may not be detected in either mode without the use of special tools. Additionaly, if the scanner you're using does not include definitions for the malware, then they may not detect or remove it regardless of what mode is used. Also keep in mind that there are various types of malware infections which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not always possible.

Repeat your scans but do them in normal mode.

#6 D0244

D0244
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm Not using any P2P program. I didn't knew those safe mode details, that's good to know. Thanks for that.

Now here is the thing the message stopped, but I think that it's because a friend of mine and this other poster, told me to uninstall Avast, and I did. Just to find, that the uninstall process didn't went well, nothing other than, the internet it's working. But I'll reboot and do the scan like u told. Just one more thing, the maliciuos virus or whatever, tend to slow the computer and  it's something that it's not happening. It's working just fine. Apart from my mistake to try to uninstall Avast.

Thanks for the help.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,918 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:05 PM

I hoped you downloaded a replacement anti-virus before trying to uninstall avast. If not you need to do so immediately. I would recommend downloading from another computer, save to a usb stick and transfer it. Going on the Internet without protection is very risky.

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features.

Many anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling or for a failed uninstall. When that is the case, it's best to download directly from the vendor's site to ensure you are using the most current version of the uninstall utility as it is not uncommon for third party hosting sites to have outdated versions which may not work properly.

If avast! did not fully uninstall, then you need to download and use the avast! Uninstall Utility (aswclear.exe) for complete uninstallation.

#8 D0244

D0244
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:29 PM

I had downloaded an anti-virus before deleting avast..... I ran the scan as u told me, and it didn't show any virus or malware. But the computer is working just fine now that I deleted Avast. 
I appreciate the assistance that u guys gave me, it helped a lot. Thanks.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,918 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

You're welcome.

Just monitor your system closely for a few days and let me know if you encounter any problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users