Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

7-zip admin privileges?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 surge1223

surge1223

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:15 PM

I already looked for an answer over at sourceforge to no avail. When i right click on a file and select extract here under 7-zip's context menu, I get an error saying I need elevated privileges.  I have already set 7 zip file manager and 7zips CLI and set them both to use admin privilges in compatibility mode.  I think the error is in shell and shellex context handlers of windows 8. I am using an admin account, I have looked through the registry values, at and through all 7-zip entries I don't know what the error could be besides file and folder permissions does anyone know how to solve this or have any suggestions?  I think i might have to look through HKCR>> some more though, I've only checked the HKCR>>* I'm not as familiar with that hive..

Things I've tried:

-Looked through of HKCU >>software>>Microsoft>>windows>>cur ver.>>policies>>explorer

-Looked through permissions and entries 7-zip reg entries

-Uninstalled, and reinstalled

-Changed ownership of 7-zip and all child object to myself

-Checked privilges of user account

-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 L3DMaN

L3DMaN

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

Here are the steps to modify ownership and permissions of folders and files:

1.       Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

2.       Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

3.       Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

·         To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, inEnter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

·         To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

4.       If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

5.       Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

6.       Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Additional considerations

·         An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.

·         Assigning ownership of a file or a folder might require you to elevate your permissions using User Access Control.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/how-do-i-change-folder-and-file-permissions/465f2b42-63dd-4486-8dd1-c870290efeed

#3 surge1223

surge1223
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for replying, but that I already tried that (hyphen 4 under things tried)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users