Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

desktop computer can connect to only my main router?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kalisun

kalisun

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:18 PM

Hi!

I have a HP computer that has thier cable modem service setup and when they plugged it into the computer it said "Limited Network Connectivity..." so I took it home and plugged it into my network which has a D-Link Gaming Router to work on it and it connected fine? I hooked it back up to the new cable modem and it said the same thing (Limited Network Connectivity...)? I hooked up my laptop to the new cable modem to check that its working and yes it is working fine my laptop worked on the new cable modem. So I plugged the HP computer back into the new modem and rebooted both devices and still the HP would get the "Limited Network Connectivity..." I unplugged the ethernet cable and I do get the red-x on the network icons so I know it sees the ethernet cable connection. I then plugged it back into my home network and the HP computer would find and work fine on my network?

I wanted to see if it would work with another router since they were looking at adding a laptop down the road..I connected the HP to a brand new Media brand router and it would still give me the "Limited Network Connectivity..."??? I did the dnsflush and repaired the Winsock IP and nothing worked. I then tried to plug it into a older Linksys 54G router and same problem "Limited Network Connection..." This started driving me crazy?!! The computer will not see any other router or the new cable modem? It will only work when I plug it into my home network? It will not work when plugged into a brand new router or a working older Linksys router?? I am at a lost and do not know if its software or the network card?? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hi Kalisun :)

It would be worth to see if you can obtain or borrow another NIC card just to check on the difference but please post the operating system and hardware specs next time or

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download MiniToolBox and open/run the program.
When open, checkmark or select all options then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply

Edited by jhayz, 26 June 2013 - 12:10 AM.

Tekken

#3 kalisun

kalisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:13 AM

Hello!!

Thank you for your quick response!!

I know I should have know better and should have included all information....

Gateway GT4016 Desktop Tower

Windows Media Center XP with SP2 version 2002

1GB RAM and a 200GB hard drive.

AMD Athalon 64 3700+ processor

I also looked at the type of LAN and it is this:  Nvidia nForce Networking Controller

Thank you!!

I haven't had a chance to get a new card yet...

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

What protection softwares are installed? Please upgrade by downloading and installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 as it contains the hotfixes and updates that may resolve your issue.

List of Fixes in XP SP3

Gateway Desktop Motherboard Driver (NVIDIA chipset) version 50.09 release date 07/23/10. Reinstalling the chipset would also not hurt.

Tekken

#5 kalisun

kalisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

I had AVAST Free installed and installed SP3 and all other update and the problem still persisted..I'm guessing a bad ethernet port as I have found a work around for now. I just used  the USB port on the cable modem and loaded the drivers and now it can get on the internet. We will figure out if they want to keep this system on thier network once they get a new router and look at installing a new card and doing a clean install if they want to keep it. I just want to let someone else who might have the same problem in the future to try the USB connection if they are having the same issues as that can be a temporary fix to get the computer on the Internet. Thank you for those for your responses and I would like to consider this topic closed.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

I had AVAST Free installed and installed SP3 and all other update and the problem still persisted..I'm guessing a bad ethernet port as I have found a work around for now. I just used  the USB port on the cable modem and loaded the drivers and now it can get on the internet. We will figure out if they want to keep this system on thier network once they get a new router and look at installing a new card and doing a clean install if they want to keep it. I just want to let someone else who might have the same problem in the future to try the USB connection if they are having the same issues as that can be a temporary fix to get the computer on the Internet. Thank you for those for your responses and I would like to consider this topic closed.

Glad you found a work around.

That being said, I am not sure it is the ethernet port. After all, you said it worked with your network.

Have you verified that the ethernet port settings are such that it is getting a dynamic IP address (i.e. uses a DHCP server to get an IP address)? I am wondering if it is set to a static IP address for the ethernet port and that IP address was set to a private network range that your router at your home was using, but was not what the router at their house was using. While most routers are set to use the 192.168.xxx.xxx range by default for their private network, there are some routers that use the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range for their private network. You could kind of check this be seeing what the two routers are set to use....but also check the IP settings on the computer too.

#8 kalisun

kalisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for the reply..just for clarification, yes it was setup as DHCP in the settings so it should have pulled up either and any addresses from the new cable modem and/or the brand new and old routers that I tried, as the computer weren't even able to pull up an IP (stayed at the 169.x.x.x) from either of those other routers and one of them was brand new right out of the box. There was no static ip set in any of the settings. It would "ONLY" pull an IP address (192.x.x.x) when I plugged it into MY router/home network and it did it the first time I ever plugged it in to my network and it worked fine. There should have been no reason why it could not have pulled a 192.x.x.x ip from the other routers that I used. I would rather try and swap NIC cards then reformatting and reinstalling data and programs back in, but I didn't have one on hand so the other option is what I was able to get working. I also don't think its the NIC card, maybe just some very messed up driver software in the computer somewhere?

Thanks for the suggestions and reply!

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for the reply..just for clarification, yes it was setup as DHCP in the settings so it should have pulled up either and any addresses from the new cable modem and/or the brand new and old routers that I tried, as the computer weren't even able to pull up an IP (stayed at the 169.x.x.x) from either of those other routers and one of them was brand new right out of the box. There was no static ip set in any of the settings. It would "ONLY" pull an IP address (192.x.x.x) when I plugged it into MY router/home network and it did it the first time I ever plugged it in to my network and it worked fine. There should have been no reason why it could not have pulled a 192.x.x.x ip from the other routers that I used. I would rather try and swap NIC cards then reformatting and reinstalling data and programs back in, but I didn't have one on hand so the other option is what I was able to get working. I also don't think its the NIC card, maybe just some very messed up driver software in the computer somewhere?

Thanks for the suggestions and reply!

It was worth a shot.

I am rather stumped at this point.

About the only thing that I can think to try would be a different ethernet cable, which you may have already done. This assumes that you did not take the ethernet cable to your house when you tried it there, but that could be an incorrect assumption. Plus, I assume when you tried your laptop with their router/modem, you use the same ethernet cable you had been using with their computer. So, I am guessing this will not make a difference, but thought I would toss it out there.

I too doubt a new NIC will change anything, but you never know. The fact that it works with your router seems to suggest that the NIC is fine.

#10 kalisun

kalisun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for the help! yes, i changed it with 2 different cable that I knew was working and also tried it with thier own cable. I am also stumped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users