Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix like software for 8

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ratedr98

ratedr98

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

Hi all,

Usually I ran Combofix on my Windows 7 machine at least once a month making sure that it was clean and free from any nasty software.

Recently as Combofix is still not updated for Windows 8 (as far as I am aware) I am looking for a piece of similar software for virus removal and wanted some suggestions!

Thanks,

Dan

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 8 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:03 PM

ComboFix is not a Weekly / Monthly general scanner. It is a one time use for Experts only -

Use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free (aka MBAM) or SUPERAntiSpyware Free (aka SAS) for weekly scans -

Or scroll down to > > 4. Free Online Scanners From our list

We / I normally use ESET Online Scanner to check and remove infections >

1.Hold down Control and click HERE to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
2.Click the ESET Online Scanner button.

3.NOTE :.For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

1.Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
2.Double click on the ESET Online Scanner icon on your desktop. 

4.Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
 5.Click the Start button.
 6.Accept any security warnings from your browser.
 7.Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
8.Click Advanced settings and select the following:

Scan potentially unwanted applications
Scan for potentially unsafe applications
Enable Anti-Stealth technology

9.ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this will take some time to download the program for a first time, and then download updated data base (1 to 3 hours is not unusual on an infected computer)
10.When the scan completes, click List Threats
11.Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan.
12.Click the Back button.
13.Click the Finish button

Thank You -

EDIT to correct links -

Edited by noknojon, 25 June 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

ComboFix is a specialized first responder tool that has the ability to deal with multiple malware infections and has built in removal functionality which makes it very powerful. Combofix is intended by its creator to do two things: automatically remove known infections and provide a detailed system report similar to DDS that a trained expert can use to further investigate and remove malicious files and registry entries. As noknojon points out, Combofix was never meant to be used as a general purpose malware scanner like SuperAntispyware or Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which scan individual drives or different folders on a computer for malware.

I'm not aware of another equivalent tool.

List of Free Scan & Disinfection Tools which can be used to supplement your anti-virus and anti-spyware or get a second opinion:Other Free Malware Removal Tools by Anti-virus vendors:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 26 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

I would have to agree that ComboFix certainly shouldn't be run as a routine tool. It's pretty safe, but occasionally it can trash a system, and in spite of the fact that it always tries to create a system restore point, sometimes the restore doesn't work. I'd stick with MBAM and the AV of your choice for routine scans.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users