Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAID 1 Setup

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 panthersfan25

panthersfan25

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hello All,

I have a question in regards to the server that we currently purchased.  It currently has (1) 1TB HDD installed and I want to look to improve data redundancy by implementing RAID 1.  My question is if I install an identical 2nd 1TB HDD and setup for RAID 1, will it wipe the first disk and start fresh or will it begin to copy everything to the new 2nd HDD?

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:50 AM

Hello All,

I have a question in regards to the server that we currently purchased.  It currently has (1) 1TB HDD installed and I want to look to improve data redundancy by implementing RAID 1.  My question is if I install an identical 2nd 1TB HDD and setup for RAID 1, will it wipe the first disk and start fresh or will it begin to copy everything to the new 2nd HDD?

Thanks!!

Assuming that it is not already configured to use RAID 1 with only 1 drive (highly doubtful), you will almost definitely be forced to wipe the first disk when you setup the RAID 1 array.

Since you are using good backup techniques (right? You are, aren't you? ;) ), it should just be a matter of making an image of the current drive setup before you setup the RAID 1 array and then restore from that image after the array is setup. You might then need to install some RAID drivers/software in Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users