Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 takes about 5 minutes to connect to the Internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cherold

cherold

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

When I start up my computer, which runs Windows 7, any startup program that tries to connect to the internet throws an error, and if I immediately start up my browser or mail reader they can't connect. At first I would try and fix the problem with ipconfig, which usually seemed to work, but eventually I discovered that if I just waited about five minutes that everything would usually start working. I have a wired connection from my pc to a router to my modem. The router also connects to a wireless hub, and because of that I know that my Internet itself is working, because my wireless devices all connect fine. It's only my PC that gives me problems.

Is there some way to figure out what the hold up is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 11:24 AM

Is this a new problem or has it always been this way? If the former, what is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

That's a good question, and kind of hard to answer. When I first got this computer, I tended to get an IP conflict error message quite often on startup, and I often didn't have internet. I thought these two things were related, and I never tried just waiting to see if it fixed itself; I always tried resetting with ipconfig. So I might have had the problem back then and been distracted by the IP conflict issue, which just went away at a certain point (possibly when I switched from Windows firewall to Comodo firewall, although I can't swear to that). So I can't actually say for sure whether this issue is new or not. I can only say that I never had the problem back when I was running XP Pro. In retrospect, I think it's likely I've always had this issue, but I'm guessing.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:36 PM

1) Make sure your services are set at default: http://www.blackviper.com/windows-default-services/windows-7-default-services/

2) Check in Device Manager - are there any yellow or red symbols?

3) What do you mean you didn't have the problem when you were running XP? Do you mean you upgraded this system or do you mean you had XP on a different system?

4) Check for a bios update.

5) You say that programs that try to connect to the interent generate an error. What is the error?

#5 cherold

cherold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

1) I reset all services to default, but it didn't help.

2) There are two yellow symbols, because I have a USB hub that has a disk reader in it and I don't have a driver for the disk reader. It's been this way for years, through several different computers. Never seemed to cause a problem.

3) I had XP on a different computer. I purchased this one used, and it had Win7 on it.

4) Unfortunately my BIOS maker, Phoenix Technologies, charges for BIOS updates, and I can't afford it. However, from googling around I think I may have the most recent update anyway (the guy I bought the PC from was a techie who had built it himself and seemed to have kept everything up-to-date).

5) Various error messages. Weather Watcher tells me it can't connect to the Internet. Plex Media Server doesn't give an error message when it starts up, but generally it doesn't connect for about five minutes; if I try and connect manually it says that it cannot reach my server. Plex generally starts working after five minutes, although sometimes it takes longer. Comodo Firewall gives a generic error message saying it couldn't be started, so I have no idea if the issue is internet connectivity or something else. I also can't reach web pages in a browser or retrieve my email through my mail reader if I try to do so without waiting a few minutes.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:10 AM

Please disconnect the usb hub (and any other externally connected devices) and reboot. Do you still have the problem?

Are you connecting the modem to an ethernet card? If so, they are not expensive - I'd suggest replacing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users