Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Can't Connect To Many Sites On Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Apeavey

Apeavey

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:53 PM

I have a total of 7 computers and they are networked. I have DSL. 4 of my PCs work fine 3 of them will only connect to a few web pages for instance I can get to google but not to Microsoft, MSN, Yahoo or Symantec.
I have tried making microsoft a trusted site that didn't work. All three computers have different operating systems. First computer was a server. At first I didn't even try to hook it to the internet because I didn't want to risk getting viruses. When I did hook it to the internet this was probably 2004 it had a problem. I didn't bother messing with it at that time. It had Windows 2000 Server. In January 2006 I installed Windows 2003 Server and could hook to internet but not to most pages I installed Windows twice gave up and ordered a new Server. New Server is an HP with Windows 2003 Server this computer has the same problem. I took the first computer reformatted and installed Windows XP still can't open pages. I gave up trying to fix them because I had other computers I could use for internet. I just ordered a Latitude laptop it has Windows 2000 on it and it is doing the same thing. I checked to see if they all had a common update thinking maybe it was the same problem as the update from a few days ago but they have SP bundled updates. I talked to one Tech person that said they had heard there was a problem with some computers trying to download everything connected to one site like all the links and the computer won't hold that much info so it just times out. But when it hooks to Google it doesn't do this. They said that there was a fix for it at Microsoft but i couldn't find anything. . All three will hook to Google and a few random sites. None of them will hook to Microsoft. All of them work fine on the network, all say they are connected to the internet. I even tried plugging in different cables. I tried plugging directly into the modem instead of going through the network same thing happened. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 11:35 PM

Do all your computers have all the Windows Critical Updates that are available for their respective operating systems including the security updates for Internet Explorer?

Try downloading Firefox and see if that has the same problems that you are experiencing with Internet Explorer. (Firefox will not work with Windows Updates as that requires Active X but your downloading it will help determine if the problem is in a specific computer or the network used to connect to the internet)
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Reboot your dsl/cable modem and your router.

#3 Apeavey

Apeavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:34 AM

The laptop has windows 2000 update rollup 1 for SP 4. KB912919, 908523, 908519, 905915, 905749, 905495, 905414, 904706, 702400, 901214, 901017, 900725, 899589, 899587, 897715, 896424, 896423, 896422, 896358, 893756, 890046, 842773, and 828749. The Server has Windows Server 2003 SP 1 and windows support tools. The other computer just has Windows XP, I couldn't get it to download updates so it doesn't even have SP 1. I downloaded firefox. I had to use firefox-download.eu, the other sites wouldn't download it. That gives me the same problem I can connect to Google and not to Microsoft. I have reset my router and modem several times. I have plugged the laptop in with the cable to a computer that works fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users