Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop running Vista won't boot in any mode.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:17 AM

Hi. I have Sony Vaio Laptop running Vista Home Premium SP2.

I recently had a nasty virus, a rootkit trojan, which I believe I fully removed with the help of your great forum(s). However. During the time the virus was present, I started to get this problem: When trying to wake my laptop from Sleep mode, it would restart and take me to the 'windows did not shut down properly' screen. I could 'Start Windows normally' and it would go back to full functionality, running perfectly smoothly.

Today, I had the same issue of it restarting from Sleep mode.

I ran sfc /scannow and it revealed that 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them' (When I try to open the CBS.log I got the message: Access is denied).

I set my laptop to run chkdsk on the next startup. Restarted, and now it wont boot, even in safe mode. I just get a black screen when trying to boot normally; & when attempting to boot in safe mode, the system hangs at "crcdisk.sys"

I've tried running Startup Repair but receive the message: Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.

In the Startup Repair 'Diagnosis and repair details:' log, under 'Root cause found:' it states:

"Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem."

I tried a System Restore, it did not work. Repair Action: System Restore | Result: Failed. Error code = 0x570

Please help! I have too many programs, files & data to even consider wiping & reinstalling the OS.

Edited by Chris Weeks, 25 June 2013 - 03:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:31 AM

Update: I tried System Restore again, this time it appeared to work. My Laptop booted normally, but I fear that this problem is far from resolved. Please, could anyone tell me my best plan of action?

Edited by Chris Weeks, 25 June 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:20 AM

When you say Startup Repair, do you mean this process:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

If so, then you might be only left with reinstalling Windows.

After you completed the System Restore, did you try the Startup Repair again?

It the System Restore did work, then you likely can either just keep going with it as is...or reinstall Windows (as painful as that is).

#4 Chris Weeks

Chris Weeks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

Yes, that is the process I ran. I have not tried Startup Repair again, as I didn't want to risk it!

A further development today: When I wake my laptop from 'Sleep Mode' using the spacebar (or any other key) it works, and does not restart. Perhaps it would seem the issue could lie within the power switch/button itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users