Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstallation, Usb Keyboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tomyjon

Tomyjon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

Hi!

First of all, thanks for reading my thread. Most people don't care.

I have a old computer, and the keyboard is connected via PS2. One day I accidentally took the cable out from PS2 while the computer was on. I put the cable back in into the PS2 slot, however keyboard didn't work. This happened to my mouse, and I bought a USB cable for it instead, and it worked. So I searched for a USB Keyboard, and I found a wireless keyboard + mouse with USB. It works great, however there is a problem.

When I try to reinstall, I put the cd in the cd-rom and restart. It comes to the part it says "Press any key to start with the cd.." (or something similar) and whenever I press any key nothing happens. There is always something for wirieless keyboards and mouse that shows if they are connected or not, and it shows that they are not connected..I tried to connect them as soon as I restart however it won't work.

So this stops me from reformatting.. sadly. I also think this wireless keyboard and mouse have made my computer pretty much laggier, I am unsure about this but I want to know if it's possible. It's no rush on this question but I would love to get some help on how I should reformat.

Keep in mind nor mouse or keyboard PS2 ports work, they are broken.

Thanks, if anyone dosen't understand I will make this long story to a short and quick one and explain

Thanks again.

------------

I tried this.

I plugged in the keyboard PS/2 slot and put the mouse in the USB one. Didn't work, tried with two different keyboards (PS/2).

How I exactly did
Turned computer off, took out the USB port for the wireless keyboard and mouse, took the USB mouse and put it in the USB slot, grabbed the old PS/2 keyboard and put it in the slot. Started computer. It comes up something with memory testing.. I have to press ESC to make it stop or wait like 5 mins or so for it to finish, ESC won't work so I waited..started..logged in as Administrator and put CD in..restarted (using mouse all the time) ..then the part with "Press any key" came..I pressed a couple keys whoever it didn't work.

Thanks for trying,

Any other ideas?

Edited by Tomyjon, 16 April 2006 - 05:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gunner

gunner

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 16 April 2006 - 07:47 PM

What is listed in device manager with the ps2 mouse AND keyboard attached? If all else fails, get a usb splitter with a ps2 connection for both. Most electronics stores have them.

Edited by gunner, 16 April 2006 - 07:50 PM.

Spike's advice: Backup your data routinely.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:52 PM

Go to your device manager and delete the Mouse's PS2 port (while you still have the mouse working using the USB port), shutdown the computer.

Plug the mouse back into the PS2 port and reboot, allowing Windows to find the port and reinstall it.

Once you have the mouse working on the PS2 port, do the same for the keyboard - delete the PS2 port for the keyboard and shutdown the computer. Plug the keyboard back into the PS2 port and then boot the computer letting Windows find it and reinstall it.

During installation the USB drivers aren't operational, so connecting the mouse and keyboard to USB ports won't work.

This will work better using a wired mouse and keyboard. Borrow a set or buy a cheap set to use.

If you do not have the drivers in your cabs you may need to download them:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/downloads/default.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 April 2006 - 08:57 PM.

#4 Tomyjon

Tomyjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:53 AM

Go to your device manager and delete the Mouse's PS2 port (while you still have the mouse working using the USB port), shutdown the computer.

Plug the mouse back into the PS2 port and reboot, allowing Windows to find the port and reinstall it.

Once you have the mouse working on the PS2 port, do the same for the keyboard - delete the PS2 port for the keyboard and shutdown the computer. Plug the keyboard back into the PS2 port and then boot the computer letting Windows find it and reinstall it.

During installation the USB drivers aren't operational, so connecting the mouse and keyboard to USB ports won't work.

This will work better using a wired mouse and keyboard. Borrow a set or buy a cheap set to use.

If you do not have the drivers in your cabs you may need to download them:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/downloads/default.mspx

Thanks for your assistance. The thing when I have my USB port for the mouse in, and I go to the device manager for to delete mouse PS2 port ..it says: "HIB-Compatible" and same for keyboard. I have no idea, maybe I have understood wrong, if I did, may you write step by step how I should do it.

I have no idea what to do with that link..

Thanks again both of you!

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:36 AM

If your XP installation doesn't have the drivers (it should), go to the page I linked and click on the arrows at the right side of the top box - pick keyboard, then click on the arrow on the second box - pick the keyboard you have, etc.

Then you download the driver to somewhere you will be able to find - like your desktop, or your documents file.

Then you reboot, let Windows find and install the two devices you deleted.

Windows should have the drivers in its files - so allow it to find the driver in Windows files and Windows Updates (check the boxes). It will then install the PS2 Keyboard and PS2 Mouse.

#6 Tomyjon

Tomyjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

If your XP installation doesn't have the drivers (it should), go to the page I linked and click on the arrows at the right side of the top box - pick keyboard, then click on the arrow on the second box - pick the keyboard you have, etc.

Then you download the driver to somewhere you will be able to find - like your desktop, or your documents file.

Then you reboot, let Windows find and install the two devices you deleted.

Windows should have the drivers in its files - so allow it to find the driver in Windows files and Windows Updates (check the boxes). It will then install the PS2 Keyboard and PS2 Mouse.

Ok, thanks. Now I understood.

However, if I have a mouse like this then: Posted Image

Should I just chose "Wheel mouse" in the list..? or? .. The mouse and the keyboard I have is not from Microsoft. The mouse is from Logitech I think.

I just need to know this, I also don't know what to choose for keyboard, it's just a normal keyboard. But all the harddrives have pics of like "Elite keyboard" and such..hehe

Btw, the thing is that I can't delete any PS2 ports because when I put in the PS2 mouse or PS2 Keyboard, and I got to device manager there is nno "Keyboard" or "Mouse" stuff I can choose there.

So I can't delete anything..

THANKS ALOT FOR TRYING TO HELP, I have asked other forums this question and NONE have answered or tried to help. Thank you both for trying, or atleast doing your best.. :thumbsup: I really love you guys :flowers:

Edited by Tomyjon, 18 April 2006 - 08:55 AM.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:10 PM

Microsoft's default drivers should work for any standard wheelmouse.
You can use the disk that came with the Logitech mouse instead to add more functionality (to add custom features) if you have it.

The same is true for the keyboard.

If the PS2 ports for the mouse and keyboard are not listed in the device manager, just plug the mouse and keyboard in to the PS2 ports and boot the computer. (unplug the usb mouse and keyboard before you boot)

Windows PnP will find them and install them.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 April 2006 - 10:13 PM.

#8 Tomyjon

Tomyjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:38 AM

Microsoft's default drivers should work for any standard wheelmouse.
You can use the disk that came with the Logitech mouse instead to add more functionality (to add custom features) if you have it.

The same is true for the keyboard.

If the PS2 ports for the mouse and keyboard are not listed in the device manager, just plug the mouse and keyboard in to the PS2 ports and boot the computer. (unplug the usb mouse and keyboard before you boot)

Windows PnP will find them and install them.

Ok, thank you. I will try this as soon as I can. :thumbsup: Thanks, this is the only forum responding.

#9 Tomyjon

Tomyjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:42 PM

Problem solved.

Solution:
Went in BIOS and turned on OnChip USB Keyboard support or something similiar in CMOS or something.

Thanks all for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users