Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 (Dell) System won't power down at Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jay3fer

Jay3fer

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:15 PM

Actually, that's not quite true.  Sometimes, it shuts down properly... and sometimes, it hangs.  Everything appears to shut down normally; programs close, logs off, shuts down, monitor loses signal... and then the computer just sits there humming, all night if I let it (the front power button/light remains on). 

I usually force power down with the button on the front (held for 5 seconds), but I hate doing that every single day.

I thought it might be due to certain peripherals plugged in, but it doesn't seem to be because even with or without these, I cannot predict what it'll do, and >90% of the time it will not shut down all the way.

Any quick n' easy fixes?  It's a newish system, bought back in January.  No updates waiting to install - that I can see - or anything weird going on that would prevent a complete shutdown.    And as I said, it gets almost all the way there, just needs a bit of help to get all the way off.  :-(

Any help much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranjeetsah426

ranjeetsah426

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:40 AM

Better scan your whole computer and go to control panel> default program and manage or change the actual setting means from there we can change our setting as our requirements. If not than check the boot system of the computer.

#3 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:36 AM

Strange. I've had plenty of issues with my computers not turning on or not turning off, but never had one partially shut down like that. Most of your hardware should have diagnosing software available on their manufacturers website, you can use a free program like Speccy to get information on your components to help find everything you need. I'd be a good idea to check for any driver updates while you're there.

Have you upgraded or made any changes to your operating system recently or has this been a problem since day one? Found a couple instances of people with a similar issue; "The machine goes through the 'Windows is shutting down' screen and then goes blank and turns off. My tower and components inside are still running." They fixed the problem by upgrading their BIOS.

I've got another idea, but I need to do some more research before I start throwing around more advice. If you're bored though, try this. Click Start, then Run, and type shutdown.exe -s -t 00, and then hit enter. Not sure how it differs from using the normal Windows shutdown button, but this was apparently a fix for some users having problems back in Windows XP. I just tried it. It took longer than normal to shutdown, but it rebooted just fine, so might as well give it a shot.

Good luck.

Edited by AdagioBoognish, 25 June 2013 - 03:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users